Thread: Desktop icons, Start button, Task Bar all gone; Wallpaper remains

Desktop icons, Start button, Task Bar all gone; Wallpaper remains

This problem started after I was trying to remove soem adware and spyware along with Google toolber, Google desktop search and google updater. Aftert hat I ran Adaware and Spybot and removed the few non-google entries they caught. So to remove Google related items I had to go to saf mode and do a search for all the google things. After I deleted all files marked as google, I still had my normal desktop, but after booting the next day I didnt have any desktop icons, start menu or taskbar? Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks

You can try to do 2 things, either sfc /scannow or do a chkdsk/f, see what results you get.

Re: Desktop icons, Start button, Task Bar all gone; Wallpaper remains

how can a scan when you can't bring up "run" because the start button and everything down there is gone..........this just happened to me. Darn what do I do?

Can you try to press ctrl+alt+del and then when task manager opens try to go to file and then new task and run the same.

Re: Desktop icons, Start button, Task Bar all gone; Wallpaper rema

What exactly you wanted to scan? Can you try to go to Safe Mode or either Safe Mode with Networking incase you are on internet. You can get into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 keys right after you restart your computer and use up arrow key to get to Safe Mode from the list of options given and then press Enter key.

Is your whole taskbar gone, alongwith, Start Menu, Quick Launch Toolba, System tray, etc? It might be possible that you have accidentally draged it downwards by its top edge and made it zero height. Incase that might have happened, then try to drag it back up from the bottom of your desktop to normal size.

I had this same problem. I was not able to fix it, but I still managed to save all of my important files using three things. Winrar, simplefilejoiner, and a 2 gb flashdrive. I rar'ed all files into archives of 2gb. I then used simplefilejoiner to COPY the files onto the jump drive ONE at a time. It did not join with anything. Lastly, I then copied the files to another computer, wiped the flash drive clean, and then did it again. It took a while, but I saved EVERYTHING. If you cannot fix it, I recommend this method, as I now have reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows, and transferred EVERY file back. I lost nothing of importance. Hope this helps.

I wanted to reformatt my computer but when we moved I lost my windows xp disk. I am so upset over this. I need this computer to last me a few more years and I don't know how I can with all the problems I'm having.