Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

msftedit.dll is not a valid Windows image

Windows XP Support

Old 27-02-2007

msftedit.dll is not a valid Windows image

I am running Windows XP Media Cented Edition with Service Pack 2. There is an error that states "The application or DLL c:\windows\system32\msftedit.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation disk." It recently popped up when I booted up the computer. Thinking that this was just a corrupt file, I restored my computer to some previous days. There was some symptom that I cannot save a Word document. After the restore, I regained this ability. But that didn work for much. So when the automatic downloads from microsoft took place, the error message reappeared and I lost my word saving ability. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Old 28-03-2007

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type %Windir%\system32, and then click OK.
    Note %Windir% represents the path of the Windows system folder. Typically, C:\Windows is the path of the Windows system folder.
  2. Right-click the Winspool.drv file, and then click Rename.
  3. Type winspool.drv.old, and then press ENTER.
  4. Restart the computer.
Old 05-12-2007

application or dll is not a valid windows image.

I had this error when trying to print from MS office word:

application or dll c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\dlxcrzir.xrs is not a valid windows image.

i opened windows explorer to the folder (make sure to enable Show Hidded Files and Folders) then deleted the .xrs file (or move it to desktop if you're not sure). then opened Word and printed ok.

**This can be done to whatever dll is being referred to.**

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,