Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

svchost.exe high cpu issues

Windows XP Support

Old 26-02-2007

svchost.exe high cpu issues

I have recently instaleld XP OS in nForce2 computer and having some continuous issues with receiving "Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" messages when stating just any programs. I was having this issue when I did a install of XP on top of an exisiting one so I completely reformatted the disk first before reinstalling. When the issue re-occurred then I spent lots of time troubleshooting and finding a common symptom, that was, every instance of an app failure was accompanied by 100% CPU utilization by svchost.exe. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Old 26-02-2007

RE: svchost.exe high cpu issues

You can try to open Run command and then type in sfc /scannow and clickon and then wait for it to finish. You will need to get your XP CD in hand to insert it in if you are prompted to do so by the system that you have. Check the below link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887740
Old 27-02-2007

It happened to me once I had svchost issue on my laptop that caused Windows XP to shut down frequently. It used to happen after a few minutes. After some searching I found out that it was happening due to a virus that was not detected by my Antivirus software.
Old 28-02-2007

You can try to perform a Clean Boot and check if there is a program causing this issue and also run the Processor Explorer and see what running in the background:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/s.../bb896653.aspx

FileMon download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896642.aspx
Old 07-03-2007

Below is a solution for SVCHOST hogging the cpu and memory:
  1. First of all you have to go the to the Windows Update site via the normal method, that is, under Tools in Internet Explorer.
  2. After that you don't have to scan for updates, but rather open the Change Settings page.
  3. Now you have to scroll down and check if it mentions using "Microsoft Update" vs. "Windows Update". Incase the option is available, then try to UNCHECK the option to use Microsoft Update. You can then use the usual Windows Update.
You need to actualy disable the microsoft update and instead use Windows update. You might have enabled it if you have microsof office installed, but it doesnt correct this issue.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: