Thread: The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG

The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG

Above mentioned title is the error am getting whenever am trying to boot my Widnows XP Home edition based desktop. In the second line of the error, it also tells me to “You can try and repair this file by starting windows setup using origional
    setup CD ROM.”.

I thought it could be the registry problem, hence as a work around I followed the steps mentioned in this Microsoft article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us I went till where I start recovery console and loaded batch regcopy1.txt. What to do now ? Am unable to get the steps from here. Can you guys please help me out ?

RE: The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG

OK, furthermore what i did is i installed the same os again in the following path c:/winxp directory whereas the corrupted Os is installed at c:/windows. Here i want to know that can I copy the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG file from here to fix the one original loaded operating system ? Or can i use anything from c:/winxp to fix the issue ?

RE: The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CO

No suggestions or replies yet to this issue ? Anyway, no problem guys. But let me tell you that i (somehow) now managed to boot the corrupted system. tried many things, cant explain here. But the problem am facing now is when i try opening Windows explorer, the system tells me that i dont have permission.

Damn, what is this ? I mean, i am the only user of this pc with Admin privileges and it tells i dont have permission. What should i do now ?

Re: The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CO

That is not surprising friend, many users come across such circumstances where there own system wont allow them to enter. In such cases you can make use of cacls command or GUI to get the required permissions for your self. If you dont know how to do that, refer kb307545 Article.

Just for reference, you can also check How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

I appreciate your help buddy. Went through the KB307545 but got a problem at a stage where we run the regcopy2.txt batch. Once I do this, I got an error message saying “'The system cannot find the file specified”.

Tried to get rid of this message, but when unsuccessful I rebooted my system and guess what, now again am the first stage where all the problem started. Am getting the same error again now saying “Windows\sysytem32\config\system corrupted”

Dude, the main objective by the steps mentioned in the above URL is to replace the corrupted registries using the most recent system backup at directory %systemroot%\system32\config. And for your information these most recent backup use to be located under a folder in System Volume Information. You can do all of that from the second "parallel" Windows installation
    that you did. You just need to go the System Volume Information, search for any snapshot folder, copy the files and move to Config folder. Now rename them as mentioned in the instruction. If you are unable to do so, try system restore or run chkdsk.

Well i tried to do as you said. But unfortunately when i try going into System Volume information, again the same permission issue occurs and it wont allow me to enter. It says:

C:\System is not not accessible.
    Access is denied.
    Now what ?

Hope you followed the proper steps to do so as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531 . Let me confirm it again. You should open command prompt as an admin and type the following command:
    cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F

Re: The following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG

I have followed the 4 steps in 307545 :
    My windows startup and request a user name and password and also request to be activated.This is not the screen i had.
    i cannot find no information of mine it looks as if windows was installed for the first time and nothing works no programmes nothing just a recycle bin on desktop
    1.How can i reverse this process ?
    2.Can i repeat article 307545 would this not cause more damage or loose files?
    3.Would my files and info be lost or there is still a chance to recover it?
    4.When i moved the hard drive to another pc the files and information found on the drive after trying 307545 i found the files are not current.It shows a previous recovery that was done.How do i get my info changed on this hard drive to my latest info
    5.There is no restore points found.
    6. I can still go to windows recovery thou i dont know what other commands to type except follow 307545
    I have taking pc to a reputable pc repair shop and they failed miserably telling me to reinstall windows which i dont believe i need to do right now whithout finding my info.
    pc windows xp sp3
    P4 core 2 2.4ghz
    3tb hdd
    4 gig ram
    Please help with this article 307545.
    Thank you all
    Last edited by quinlin; 10-05-2012 at 03:17 AM.

quinlin,

Well, I would say that if you are getting files on the hard drive by connecting to another pc, then immediately do a backup of the drive in the other pc and then connect this same hard drive and do a repair installation by a Windows xp cd/dvd. After repair installation, check if the files are visible or not on the pc.

Thank you Einstein
    I would like to save the information however it is not the most recent info that i see The info that i require doesnot seem to show .The drive shows info from 2010 as the last info.I am wondering if it can have this info then somewhere is my latest info 2012 thou i dont know where or how to get it.
    Ive been advised recently to put in the XP disk and go to the first option to reinstall thereafter i will be given two options reinstall and repair In this section i should choose repair and everything will work fine.
    Whats your thinking on this.Would i possibly lose my info or would it work

Thnak you

Quote Originally Posted by quinlin View Post
    Thank you Einstein
    I would like to save the information however it is not the most recent info that i see The info that i require doesnot seem to show .The drive shows info from 2010 as the last info.I am wondering if it can have this info then somewhere is my latest info 2012 thou i dont know where or how to get it.
    Ive been advised recently to put in the XP disk and go to the first option to reinstall thereafter i will be given two options reinstall and repair In this section i should choose repair and everything will work fine.
    Whats your thinking on this.Would i possibly lose my info or would it work
    Well, obviously, since system 32 folder has improtant files for windows to be working, so a repair install should definately solve the issue that you are facing. However, reinstalling the complete OS will also give you same results, but then you will have to reinstall all programs, drivers and everything that is connected or you have in the hardware components list, which is time consuming.