Thread: Desktop shortcuts not working

Desktop shortcuts not working

Suddenly my desktop shortcuts stopped working. It was working fine until yesterday but today when I turned on my laptop few of my desktop icons worked for about 2 minutes and suddenly stopped working. When I click on them they show the selection but doesn’t do anything on double click or single click+enter.

I’m sure there is no problem with the shortcut path as they show the correct path in their properties as well. When I click the main applications to whom these shortcuts are linked from start menu > Programs, they open comfortably but not from desktop shortcut icons. Please help.

I had this problem long ago and was frustrated too. I thought it could be due to some Virus or Malware, hence scanned my system deeply but yet dint found anything. Finally I called a techie hardware guy and don’t know what he did for about 30 minutes, my desktop icons started working.

But as per my research later, I came to know that these can be cause of few corrupted registry entries as well. Hence I’ll suggest you download some registry fixes and see if that works for you.

Re: Desktop shortcuts not working

Try adjusting mouse speed and rebooting!

Lost shortcut functionality after running the free one time scan and fix of AVG's PC tuneup.

Just tried using Doug Knox's fix and it worked! Amazing!! But it took me awhile to find, so for everyone who is not so hot with computers.....

Win XP Fixes (that is the operating system I am running)
    File Association Fixes
    LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

It was pretty easy, downloaded it then opened it and it did its own thing and everything worked instantly.

Don't know who Doug Knox is, but I may have just fell in love with the guy!!
    Last edited by wrobarge; 05-11-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks guys this thred saved my behind! I was uninstalling programs on my dads lap top when the everything went screwy.
    He would have killed me if I messed it up.
    ooRAYoo

Hey guys,

I am having the same problem. I have Windows XP on my laptop. Have rebooted many times. Ran AVG full scan after I noticed a virus on my computer and now no shortcuts are working. I just get the open with error message. I tried the Doug Knox LNK and it did not work. Any other reccommendations? Thanks!!

After going through the issue you should boot the computer into Safe mode and tell if thing is working.

Another thing which you can try with restoring the desktop. For that you have to go for Task Manager and after go for File and click on New Task and after that type explorer.exe and simply press enter.

Finally, if none of above mentioned solution not working than you can go for below mentioned link.
    Desktop shortcuts and the menu both are not working