Thread: Windows Installer won't load

Windows Installer won't load

Whenever I try to install a program then I get an error message that says cannot start windows installer. I have downloaded the Windows Installer 3.2 and installed it, but getting the same error. I am running Windows XP SP1. I have tried uninstalling msievec /regserver and reinstalling, which didnt help as well. I tried to do the same in Safe Mode but that still didnt work. Please help.

Re: Windows Installer won't load

Did you try to start the Windows Installer Service manually and checked what happens, do you get any error messages? You can try to click on Start > Run and then type Services.msc. After that in the right side, right click on Windows Installer and then click Start. Also try to set the service "Startup Type" to manual.

I have checked that Windows Installer is set to Manual. When I start the service then I am getting error message: "Could not start Windows Installer service on local computer. Error 997: overlapped I/O operation is in progress".

Have you checked the below article on "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to install Office:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324516

Thanks but after following the method given in the link, I am still not able to solve this issue? I have tried all the suggestions but getting the same issues. Can anyone tell me if this can be solved or not?

You can try to reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do this follow the steps given in the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

If I am trying to re-register Windows Installer then I am getting an error message that says "An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers". Please help.

Have you tried to follow the Method 2 given in the above link to reinstall the Windows Installer. Incases you know about Depends.exe tool, then you can use it to determine if this error is due to a missing/corrupt dependancy module. In Dependency Walker, use the "profiling" option and run the command (msiexec.exe /regserver).