Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Is firewire to usb cable ok for connecting DV videocamera (firewire) to my PC (usb) ?

Windows XP Support

Old 04-02-2007

Is firewire to usb cable ok for connecting DV videocamera (firewire) to my PC (usb) ?

I have found that there are many Firewire to Usb cable sale on eBay and other places. Can anyone tell me whether it is fine to use such Firewire to Usb cable as a replacement to firewire PCI card installed in PC for connecting DV video camera to PC to transfer recorded video to hard drive? Thanks

Old 04-02-2007

Actually, the firewire to Usb cabled must be possible except that the 2 protocols are very different. This cable might be needing a driver and that driver will be the main factor as to whether it will work or not. But for some dollars you can get 5 firewire cards and 5 cables, so it would be a waste of time and money I think.
Old 04-02-2007

Well, I think that the chip to do Firewire to Usb is small enough that it can easily fit into the moulded connector to handle on either end, so I would not expect a damage here. But I will be very surprised if it worked for transferring video between camcorder and computer. The native Usb2 and native Firewire are each tricky in their own things.
Old 06-02-2007

I think that there might be a circuitry in the connectors but I dont see any hint of any circuitry in any of the views I looked at. Because circuitry could b very small and Usb provides 5V DC power, I can obviously be quite wrong, but I select to remain doubtful anyway. Incase anyone actually buys and tries one of these cables, then I want to see a report on same.
Old 12-03-2007

Did you ever try to use a program to capture from the camera? I expect Windows Server 2003 to just lay it down like you were connecting in a usb drive that may ne expecting too much I guess.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,