Thread: recycler.exe

recycler.exe

i have this recycler.exe infected my external hhd's, all my folders in the external hdd have changed to short cuts to RECYCLER\284c669.exe. i have run wse and malware with no help. i can not access any of my folders on the hdd untill i uncheck the 'hide protected operating system files' in folder options. then i have deleted all the short cuts, again run wse and malware and still nothing found. once i check the 'hide p o s files' my folders disappear again. im not a nerd on pc's so any help would be great thanks :-)

Re: recycler.exe

I would like to suggest you the following steps and after that go through you issue. to do this you need to open the registry editor window and to do this first make click on the start icon on the desktop and after that click on the run. Now on the run type regedit and after that hit the ok button. Now you will get the registry editor windows and under that go to the below location:
    HKEY_CurrentUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\Advanced
    Now here on the left side locate to the ShowSuperHidden key and after set the value to 0(zero)
    Now once you done and after that restart your system and after that make full scan on your system and after that go through your issue.

yes i have done that, run wse and mal again still nothing change :-(

Have you tried booting your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 during startup, and re-run the the antivirus program, if it is installed in the pc. It should be able to detect the files in safe mode. You will also have to delete the autorun files off the external drive. I suggest you find a friend who has a mac to delete if for you. There may be an easier way, but this way should work.

i have done that to, cant find a thing, but my folders in my ext hdd are hiden when i check the 'hide p o s files' box, folders contain films/pics/ etc etc

rite start again, i have 3 ext hdd connected by usb, i swopped 2 of them to another pc, left them connected to pc for afew days, then when i went in 1 of the hdd, all my folders had been changed to short cuts ' RECYCLER\284c669.exe' however each folder kept the folder name, ie films folder ( which i click it and goes into my film collection which is 700gb) changed to a short cut ( white arrow on corner and only 2.2mb size) but was still called films, everytime i clicked it and a box came up saying there was no path to RECYCLER\284c669.exe. this was the same on all folders on that hdd, i then went in the other hdd and the same with my folders in there. i then moved the ext hdd's to my main pc again and still the short cuts where in place. i have googled the RECYCLER\284c669.exe and its some sort of worm that infects usb connect devices, reading up on the worm and followed many ways to rid it with no luck, i read something and followed which was, open the hdd, click tools/folder options/view and then uncheck the 'hide protected o.s. files' and my original folders came back next to the short cut folders, i then deleted all the short cut folders, run scans on each hdd and nothing was found, so i then opened the hdd and did tools/folder options/view and checked the 'hide protected o.s. files' and all the folders in the hdd disappeared. my main problem now is that the scans arent showing anything and my folders are all hidden still unless i uncheck the 'hide protected o.s. files' i dont know if the worm is still active in the hdd or not. i also know that when i moved the hdd's to the other pc, i left another ext hdd on my main pc and that is not infected so the 'other' pc has the worm init which im not too worried about because i can just reinstall windows to it. i hope that helps

normally the recycler.exe virus will locate to the below location and so therfore i woudl like to suggest you to go through the below steps and after that delete the file that are related to and after that make scan on your system and after that restart your system and then go through your issue.
    %System%\AUTORUN.INF
    %System%\confi.exe
    %System%\Config.ini
    %System%\Recycler.exe
    %System%\uninstx.exe
    %System%\keyvect.dll
    %System%\netscv.exe
    i woudl also suggest you to Kill the process Recycler.exe and remove Recycler.exe from Windows startup.