Thread: DVD drive won't eject

DVD drive won't eject

I am having a XP laptop. I am using some DVD to create a movie disc. But as the burning was over the DVD drive does not eject the disc out. I tried the button which worked for few times. But later on when I inserted a separate movie disc to copy the file it is stuck inside. It is not coming out at all. The button is also not working. I right clicked on the dvd icon in my computer and clicked on eject. Which also failed. How can I remove the disc here.

It is a hardware fault. But before going on any conclusion you can run a small driver update to test the same. Just right click on My Computer and then click on properties. In that click on the Hardware section and click on Device Manager. Right click on the optical drive and click on update drivers. You can also uninstall it completely and restart your pc. When you reboot the dvd drives will be installed automatically. Just try this and if this does not work then there is a hardware failure in your system.

Re: DVD drive won't eject

Logged in with local Administrator Rights this has always worked: Right-click My Computer, select Manage / Disk Management. Right-click in the appropriate *left* CD-ROM pane, select Eject

This can be due to a problem with a spring inside the dvd device. Now to remove the disc there is another way. Use a pin and insert it in tiny hole near the button. Press it gently and the disc tray will come out. That will be simply more appropriate in fixing the issue. If it worked then you can remove the disc. But the next time when you close it the disc will again stuck in it. You will need to replace the same. You can buy a external usb dvd writer here which is more easy to use.

I have had a similar problem. I have also updated the drivers for the primary and secondary IDE controllers. This seems to have solved the problem on my computer. I also had the problem of my computer only recognizing my second DVD drive as a CD drive only. The above solution fixed that problem as well.

Mine is not a Dell but orc's solution worked for me, too. Thank you

This solution worked for me, too. Mine is not a Dell, though and it will work perfectly time after time, then have a bad day. Infuriating but no longer a problem with this fix available. Thank you.

Thank you so much. It worked quite well.

I've just had a DVD refuse to eject - I've got a Dell so I think you're onto something there.

Did the right clicking of the drive and managed to get it out - so thanks.

Actually when you update the drivers then it is required that you do the clean installation. You uninstall the drivers and then restart the system again and then you install the drivers back. Now again make the restart. Also it depends on the Operating System that you have on the system. After you make the restart then you will have to wait for some time and then go with the hardware for which you have installed drivers. I am sure that this will really help you with the things here. If you will always go in this manner then you will not have any trouble with any hardware.