Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cant change desktop background

Windows XP Support

Old 29-12-2006

Cant change desktop background

I just now got over a virus and deleted it but after that it doesnt allow me to change the desktop picture at all. The original picture shows up for a second on startup and then goes black. It also shows up just before log off too. Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks.

Old 29-12-2006

RE: Cant change desktop background

Have you tried to select no image, if it works then delete your picture in the background adn then try to add them one more time. I think that it might have got infected before.
Old 29-12-2006

Follow the below steps:
  1. First of all click Start - Run - type GPEDIT.MSC and press Enter
  2. After that try to expand to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Control Panel - Display
  3. Now check on the right-side pane double-click the entry "Prevent Changing Wallpaper"
  4. After that check if the value is set to "Not Configured" or "Enable" then set it to "Disable".
Also check the below link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921049/
Old 31-12-2006

RE: Cant change desktop background

Thanks but that didnt work. I have tried another method or regedit from Start and run but it gives me an error that is mentioned below:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:windows\system32\REGEDIT.com
C:windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS ans Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
Old 17-10-2007

Um, I have this problem on my computer, and I try to follow this path:
HKEY_CURRENT USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/POLICIES/SYSTEM

But when I open my policies folder there's only a folder named Explorer, and nothing named System...is there any other way to fix this problem then? And do I have a bigger problem to concern myself with not having the System folder? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: