Thread: No taskbar or desktop icons

No taskbar or desktop icons

There is a problem in my daughter's laptop. When the system boots up the task is only visible but there is no icon on the screen. The same then loads after sometime. Later on when I try to open My Computer it works while for sometime and crashes. It just did not work properly. I checked in task manager and found that the system usage is simply quiet higher. It is not working well at all. I think the issue lies with windows update. Some recently installed updates have screwed up the thing that I am facing.

The issue lies with windows registry. There are two entries that you have to check and set the value for the same. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon and there ensure that userinit is pointing to c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. You can try here system restore which will give you a temporary benefit in fixing the problem. That would be simply more beneficial in fixing the problem.

Re: No taskbar or desktop icons

One of the things you might've wanted to try before a system restore would be to run "Malewarebytes". From my experience it solves quite a bit of problems concerning "no desktop, no icons, no taskbar". Sometimes "explorer.exe" which is the .exe file that provides the user interface for windows-based computers becomes corrupted by viruses. "Malwarebytes" can help detect and remove the viruses from the computer.

The SAME thing happened to me, except I haven't seen my taskbar come up at all. Nothing is working for me, and I don't even have the virus explorer.exe. This is getting really annoying.

Thanks - your first suggestion worked for me - the entry that I had in the registry was correct except that it had a comma appended to it - when I removed the comma and rebooted, all of the normal Windows user interface items re-appeared.

I can only speculate that a Windows update was the culprit - thanks again :-)

hiya

i still got same problem is no taskbar and no icons.

i search website and all message keep say same story about use it is ctrl+alt+del...it still nothing coming up..so i keep repeat press three button all the time...seem i lost task...do anyone know how to recover task manger then i can use ctrl+alt+del again if i can get it through

any help it will be grateful

thank you

When the taskbar to behave abnormally or is missing completely, delete the registry folder "StuckRects" at HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft
    Windows CurrentVersion Explorer and then restart the computer. This does not help you see if the C: windows application internet explorer quick launch if a folder exists. In XP, click the C: / Documents and Settings \ [USER] / Application Data / Microsoft / Internet Explorer / Quick Launch. If not, then you create a new folder with that name. Close the Explorer and update the context desktop. Then click the right mouse button on the taskbar and choose Toolbars. There you check the "Quick Start". And set the desired symbols again.

hiya
    after i post it and i been leave laptop on for few hours while i shopping and relise taskmanger is back..so i try doing again..when i press ctrl alt del then wait for half an hour coming up..so far i did tpying exploroer.exe..and it is come back another half an hour later...very very slow run coming up each.

then been shut it down and start again...same story...

icon desktop is there...taskbar is halfway (colour grey) and wont let me click start menu....i am going pull my hair....so i try download usb pen for maleware something like that but wont even let me open usb pen....again i pull my hair...

laptop is advent 4213..xp.sp3...been try restore..not susseccful..same again problem. really wish this laptop going to bin but not worth bec it is small thing to be relsolve really.

so pls pls give me easy step by step bec i am not 100 per cent good with laptop...let say i know bit around 65 per cent lols

any help will be grateful

tracey

try open website and wont let me use website for download..again i am gonna pull my hair lols...i have avg and wont let me open it as well..i guess wait for half an hour each then....think my hair run out lols.