Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Data Execution Prevention on Windows Explorer

Windows XP Support

Old 21-12-2006

Data Execution Prevention on Windows Explorer

I am getting some message related to Data Execution Prevention whenever I open anything that requires Windows Explorer to work. It keeps saying that Windows Explorer will be closed due to the DEP. I am still able to use the Search function via the Start Menu and access My Documents and the other stuff that way, but not by clicking on it directly. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

Old 21-12-2006

Re: Data Execution Prevention on Windows Explorer

I think that its possible that one of the shell extensions has caused this DEP error. I would also isolate the issue by disabling the third party shell extensions one at a time and test the behavior. The ShellExView will be able to help you out, just download it by searching it on the net.
Old 22-12-2006

Thanks for the reply, by using ShellExView I found that the extension AcroIEHlprObj Class, which is a Browser Helper Object was causing the issues.
Old 09-01-2007

Even I am facing the same issue with DEP errors when I try and access certain things using Windows Explorer. I have installed ShellExView and after running it I disabled all the 3rd party extensions one at a time and tried to access the network connections but even after that the problem is still there. Help me out please.
Old 11-01-2007

Can you check if there are any events registered when the DEP error happened? Check the article on "Finding Errors Using the Event Viewer" from the below link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ice.10%29.aspx
Old 10-08-2007

Thank you very much for the reply, the error was caused by the Adobe software. I have now solved the issue.
Old 28-12-2007

I had same problem, it was a dodgey codec. installed ACEMCP603PRO (zip file) which removed bad codecs and now no problems at all!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,