Thread: Windows Could Not Start..missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\config\system.

Windows Could Not Start..missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\config\system.

HI, I am In need of some urgent helps, hope you guys can help me out. It have a Windows XP SP1 running desktop at home. Something went wrong with it and is now not able to boot any more. Whenever we start the computer I get an error message saying:

“Windows could not boot because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM”

I thought repairing the system may help me with this. I inserted installation CD, went to recovery console but it doesn’t allows me to do anything. For example, if I trying running DIR command, it gives me another error saying “There is no floppy or CD in the drive.”

I have no idea what can be done to get rid of the same. Somebody please help.

Re: Windows Could Not Start..missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\config\system.

I am sure the problem is due to some corrupted registry and hence XP is not able to boot. Did you made any changes in the registries recently? I guess so because that would have made the conflict . Anyways, there is a KB Article on MS website describing How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting. You should go through the process mentioned there. It will help you out for sure. Here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545

Re: Windows Could Not Start..missing or corrupt...\windows\system32\config\system.

Thats correct, The problem wi due to faulty registry key. The KB provided above is the one you need to go through. Once done with that your system boots, you also need to check this about troubleshooting Registry Corruption Issues: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822705