Thread: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

I have two PCs at my home running with Windows XP and both are networked with each other. Yesterday I upgraded Internet Explorer to version 7 on one of my system. Installation went fine but when I launched the same and tried to open any website I started getting the following error message:

The webpage cannot be found.

Most likely causes:
    There might be a typing error in the address
    If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date

What can you try:
    Retype the address
    Go back to the previous page
    Surprisingly am getting this error on both of my PCs and it happens for most of the sites I try to access including google.com.

RE: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

Yeah, very strange problem. We can try out few fixes but before that I would like to know are you sure your internet connection is proper and not dropping in between? Did you upgraded IE 7 on both of your systems or the second PC is still with IE6?

Anyway, till you reply this try out the following and let me know if it helps you:
    1. Go to Start menu and click RUN.
    2. Type CMD, press Enter.
    3. Type netsh winsock reset, press Enter.
    4. Reboot your System.

Let me know what you get.

As per your questions Zachary, yes my both PS are running with Internet Explorer 7 and are connected on LAN. I too have a wireless router in my home but these PCs are connected with LAN Cable and I don’t think there is any drop in the internet connection because this all started since I upgraded the browser.

Now as per your suggestion, thanks for the same but that dint helped me in any way. Am still facing the same problem.

As an addition, I tried scanning both computers with updated Norton antivirus as well as with Spysweeper but they dint found anything and are also using Windows Firewall.

I don’t have any idea whats the cause of this problem but I suspect my IP Address. What do you think ?

I don’t think it is the problem of IP Address, but yes, it could be DNS resolution problem. Do you have any other devices like laptop or so where you can test browsing internet ? if yes, connect your laptop to wireless network (as you said you have) and match the DNS settings as well as security settings of IE of your laptop with your desktop PCs. Possibly your desktop IE7 may be having higher security settings. So note down few websites where you getting the above mentioned error and add them to trusted zone.

Also, did you tried installing IE7 with Firewall Turned ON or Off ? Please note that spysweeper and Norton also has an option to block websites. Check if it is not the one preventing you to access those websites. So, better turn off your Windows Firewall (you don’t actually need to keep it on when you have spysweeper and Norton installed).

Furthermore, I’ll suggest you to open Command Prompt (Start > RUN) and type “regsvr32 urlmon.dll” without quotes. Click OK and restart the machine.

I strongly suspect that your winsock might have got corrupted or Damaged. Hence you should repair the same. If you don’t know how to do it, heres it:

Click Start > Run > Type CMD > Enter
    In the command Prompt Type “netsh winsock reset”, click OK
    Reboot your computer.

By doing this system will refresh your Winsock. If you notice that is not reset you should download the one from here:
    http://www.nasstec.co.uk/tools.html for winscok fixer.

DNS change

I could be sure that it is the DNS issue because ihad the same problem once on my system as well but it was all of a sudden and not due to upgrading IE or anything. After troubleshooting a lot finally I called my ISP and explain them the problem. They changed my DNS and guess what, everything worked fine. You Should try out the same.

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

I spent several hours spinning my wheels with this problem, doing everything from changing firewall settings, updating and running my antivirus sw, updating Windows until I stumbled onto the real fix - at least for me.

It goes like this: In IE at the top of the page:

Click Tools/Internet Options/Connections.

Cursor down to LAN Settings.

In the window that opens un-check "Use a proxy server......." and click all necessary OKs to exit.

It worked for me. 'Hope it does for you.