Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

msconfig access denied error

Windows XP Support

Old 28-11-2006

msconfig access denied error

I got some issues installing software for a new HP printer/scanner so called their tech support for help. They told me to delete many registry entries. After that many problems started to arise from that period, some of those I was able to correct, but one of the remaining issues is that when I use msconfig to change startup settings then I get a message that says "An
access denied error occurred. You may need to log on using an administrator account." I am working on Windows XP SP2 and if anyone has some solution then please let me know.

Old 29-11-2006

RE: msconfig access denied error

Even I am facing this issue when going into msconfig that is denying me access asking for administrator. I am already the admin when I go into administrator in safe mode then same things happens. I want to solve this issue.
Old 30-11-2006

You should carefully use Registry editor. You should also be certain for whatever things you change and copy the registry first so you can revet back to the previous one without any issues.
Old 10-07-2008

I had a similar problem. the issues were
a) restarting the system when msconfig was changed and not deleting the registry entry
b) ALso trojanware that inserted entries back in msconfig-> startup
see my complete solution on my blog.
Old 27-12-2008

Re: msconfig access denied error

I had a similar problem with HP 6310 officejet multifunction. Thankfully, I followed some threads and found a patch and a security update on the HP website. I downloaded/installed and rebooted and voila, the problem was fixed.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: