Thread: Windows key shortcuts stopped working

Windows key shortcuts stopped working

Hi, this is Windows XP desktop. I am using this since past 2 years and never had any problems. But since a week suddenly something has gone wrong. All my key short cuts stopped working For example we press Win + E key to open Windows Explorer or Win + R to RUN command. No such key combination is working anymore for me.

Any idea what has gone wrong? Is it disabled from anywhere? Many thanks.

RE: Windows key shortcuts stopped working

So you mean to say all the Key combinations where 'WIN' key is common is not working. So problem, the keyboard is faulty dude. You should try connecting some another keyboard and see if it still not working. There is no place where these shortcuts can be disabled or enabled. Go to the control panel >> Printers and other Hardware >> Double click your Keyboard and on the Keyboard Settings Window and see if there is any conflict.

If it is still not working from another key board then probably your system is infected. Update your antivirus and Antimalware. Scan the complete system.

Re: Windows key shortcuts stopped working

So of only shortcuts starting from Win key are not working then follow these steps:

• Go to Start > Run
    • Type 'gpedit.msc'
    • Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative templates\Windows Components\Windows
    • Explorer
    • Double click "Turn off Windows +X hotkeys" and set it to "Not Configured"

Let me know if it helps.

Here is a small utility created on VB 6 and i guess this could be the easiest solution for you. Simply download the utility from here. YOu will find three registry settings saying Windows key, Disable right Windows key and Disable both Windows keys. Choose according your preference.

i had the same problem and the only post on this thred that worked was that of Ayush, this was his posting:

If shortcuts starting from Winkey are not working :

WinXP Pro :
    Start - Run
    gpedit.msc
    User Configuration --- Administrative templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
    Double click "Turn off Windows +X hotkeys" and set it to "Not Configured"

but it was already set to "Not Configured" so i tried "dissable" and did a restart and it worked perfectly

Hello guys! I have the same problem. I tryed the gpedit.msc method, but didn't worked. I have another problem, but I solved it in a way. If I pressed a key(q,w,e,r) outlook apperared it was so annoying. I uninstalled it.

But the shortcuts are still not working. I cannot press win logo + e,r,d etc. Not even W+2, Q+1 etc.. I cannot play any games with this problem. I even reinstalled the Windows.

Sorry for necroing this thread but i have something to add that might help others who are desperate because of this issue.

I had this problem since a few days, tried like 10 different suggestions including everything in this thread, nothing worked.

What brought salvation in the end is a comment by someone about a switch on the G15 keyboard. I'm using a G15 and it has a switch to enable/disable the windows key inside games. It was still in the 'enabled' position as it has always been, but i switched it to 'disable' and then back to 'enable' and the windows key worked again!