Thread: Run as Administrator doesn't work with explorer.exe with IE7 installed

Run as Administrator doesn't work with explorer.exe with IE7 installed

I have checked that Run as Administrator doesnt work with explorer.exe since I have installed Internet Explorer 7 on my Windows XP SP2 system. I have used methods described in many guides but nothing seems to be working for me. Can anyone tell me how to do the same thing I did succesfully in the past with RunAs? Thanks.

Dont you get any error messages when you try that? Can you try to check in the event viewer log messages? Are you noticing any different behaviour of explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe between a system with IE6 and IE7? Just try it and let me know.

You can probably be much better off with and gives you lots of good things and many custom plugins. I have used it for the past 5 years and have enjoyed it since. It could take a little customizing to get it just right for you, but its well worth it. Once you get it customized, just copy program files folder from comp to comp and you will never have to recustomize it again.

I was reading this post and got an idea.. tried it out and found some interesting results

(Warning: not liability for instability caused by trying this.. its an IDEA Im not telling you to do it, but I tried this and found it interesting)

1. Run CMD so you have command prompt open

2. Pull up task manager and end explorer.exe (make sure you dont have unsaved data)

3. In the command prompt enter "runas /user:system\administrator explore.exe

4. Enter password when prompted

Vvvwalla.. now without signing out explore.exe is now running as admin on the machine without logging a user off.. things will RUN SLOW at this point.. might be able to leave applications running, when done end explorer again and reinitialize it with the original users credentials.

Here is a much much better solution

Run regedit from c:\windows as admin, navigate to HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

Open the SeparateProcess and change the DWORD value from 0 to 1 and close

Now go to c:\windows and run explorer.exe and run as admin
    This will allow the window to run as a separate process

This change must be made under any user profile you wish to have run explorer as separate processes.

Its a little more than you would need to do with the old IE6 trick which was quite nice

Hope this helps

Re: Run as Administrator doesn't work with explorer.exe with IE7 installed

I have figured out how to open the control panel through windows vista and IE7 now, by going to tools>Internet options>advanced and turning on - allow active content to run in files on my computer. Thus turning it more like IE 6 used to be.

However, when I do Run as Administrator it just opens and doesn't ask for the password. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this?

Thanks.

Much easier solution than those posted here:

Windows has a hidden IE7 folder in its system root.

Go to run and type: c:\windows\ie7 (or replace 'windows' with your %systemroot%)

In that folder, you will find the old IE 6 executable (iexplorer.exe) that you will be able to use the RunAs function with.

It's saved me a lot of headaches when trying to do RunAs functions in SP3.

Notice all, it is HIDDEN FOLDER so don't wonder if it does not show up.. use our folder options to reveil it..
    I use this to change my network settings (IP address etc) if needed on the local computer. (line below)
    runas /user:domain\user "C:\windows\ie7\iexplore.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}"
    Or then just to move data on local computer from folder to an other:
    runas /user:domain\user "C:\windows\ie7\iexplore.exe C:\windows"

Had to reg to tell this :

I tried this and worked just fine. Very helpful, thanks! Why hide the ie7 folder? NUTS

It rocks! Thank you! Best workaround of the year for me! ;o)