Thread: Blue Screen on bootup - can't read it

Blue Screen on bootup - can't read it

I am not able to get XP to boot up. When I a trying to select either of the Start options like Last known good configuration or Start Windows Normally, then a blue screen error comes up quickly and I am not able to read it. When I select any of the 3 safe mode start options then a list of WINDOWS\system32 files displays as follows:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\[various filenames]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\[various filenames]

After that the blue screen error comes up and then it comes back to the Start options. Can anyone tell me how to check out this blue screen error messages? Thanks

Re: Blue Screen on bootup - can't read it

When you press the F8 key as the computer starts but before windows tries to load then you will get a menu with an option to disable the auto restart on error. After that you will be able to read the error message. By the way did you make any changes to your system recently?

RE: Blue Screen on bootup - can't read it

Thanks for the tips, I am getting the below error message:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9C73528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

It says me to check for viruses, check for hard drive properly and run chkdsk /f to check for corruption and then restart computer. But I am not able to get XP going in order to do any of these things. I have also not installed any new software or hardware in my pc.

AFter you provide details of Error messages it is better to copy the precise error like what is there exactly. What is the make and model of your computer when it was purchased? IF you want to run chkdsk /f then you will need to be able to run the recovery console by booting from the XP CD, or you might be able to start XP to a command prompt.

Re: Blue Screen on bootup - can't read it

Check the article on "How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation" from here - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

I've got the same problem on my 2-months old Acer Aspire One Netbook... All the symptoms are the same. When choosing any of the safe mode startups it shows a huge list of drivers. It stops at Mup.sys then reboots. Here's the video description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1F0d25Dc0 PLEASE HELP!

The interesting thing is that the problem occurred right on the same date when my McAfee anti-virus subscription expired... I even have some crazy thoughts that McAfee have sent me a virus on purpose. I called them and they immediately responded that they could fix everything very quickly for a "small" fee of around $80!!! b@stards...

Btw here's the blue screen content word to word (thanks to neil):

---MESSAGE BEGINS---

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or soft ware manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86FC5C08, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

---MESSAGE ENDS---

The only new hardware I have is a new 6-cell battery which I bought from amazon.com. I am not sure what brand is the battery. The only name is on the sticker on the battery, it says "H L". The description of that battery is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product I have been using this battery for about 3 weeks and had no problems...

I also recall that right before my netbook started to have trouble with starting up, my girlfriend disconnected it from the power outlet while it was charging with the new battery on.

This is the best way I could describe my problem as thorough as I could.

I reviewed the links you provided. Apparently, I ll have to run the chkdsk/r option. But here's a million dollar question: how do I perform that on a netbook? Just to remind you, I don't have neither FDD, nor CD-ROM. All I have right now is: 3 USB, 1 Ethernet, and 2 SD-card slots. Is there a way to get Windows XP CD content on a flash drive or an external HDD, and then get it running through USB port?

P.S.: How big is the risk of corruption that you mentioned earlier? I don't have a cradle for my HDD, I really don't wonna spend money... So I guess i will just have to take that risk. What are the chances that I lose the info stored on my HDD?

EDIt: PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks to everyone for help! I figured an easier way to fix it: all I had to do was hit alt+f10 while booting up and it automatically started the recovery program!

I found this thread when trying to sort out exactly the same problem: BSoD and 'Unmountable boot volume', even when trying to start in safe mode. The repair instructions certainly unbricked my machine, but I've had to start installing everything again from scratch. Luckily, I only got the netbook last week, and so I didn't lose anything important.

Mine had been working fine up until yesterday afternoon. It told me that Windows had updates to install, so I let it do them (18 in total, I think) and shut down. When I next tried to use it later in the day, it was stuck in the BSoD loop.

It could be coincidence, but it seems pretty likely to me that there's something in one of the recent XP updates that doesn't agree with the Acer's hardware configuration. I've disabled automatic updates for now, and would advise anyone with one of these machines to do the same. I'll settle for downloading updates manually from time to time, making sure I have all critical data backed up elsewhere before applying them.

Please ignore my comments about Windows Update. It looks like it was a coincidence after all.

Having rebuilt it once, I left it copying some files overnight and came down to a CRC error in the morning. I rebooted and got stuck in the BSoD loop again. I took it back to the supplier, they ran a diagnostic and found bad sectors on the hard drive so they replaced the machine.

Hopefully this one will be better.

Can anyone respond. Did the F10 work because I tried the F8 and it didnt work.

I actually dropped my computer and when I tried to reboot it I got the exact same error. It has been looping for 3 days so far. Ive had my system for 7 months now and I only had problems with the download function on the internet. All the information seems to work fine. I have a backup of the data on the system so I only need to restore it from the original or just find a way to log on.

I dont have any other additional accessories such as an external HD or anything like that. Can anyone help because I dont want to purchase another.

And is the software on XP causing errors for the ACER one series.

Lastly I own a notebook Acer One from Walmart. So any guidance will help tremendously. Thanks again.