Thread: installing XP Service Pack 1

installing XP Service Pack 1

I connected a Pentium 4 motherboard in my friends Gateway after a power surge that fried the board. After installing the board I tried to start it up and I chnageed the bios to boot from the CD rom. I have put it in the Windows XP CD and tried to do a repair. Everything was going along well until it asked for the Compact Disc labeled Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD. I was not able to find the disc in the stack of restore discs he gave me, so I downloaded a file from the microsoft site. Now it is asking me for a file called "asms" on the Windows XP service pack 1 cd. Can anyone tell me where can i find it? Thanks

Re: installing XP Service Pack 1

The pc is not looking for the Service Pack 1 CD, you will have to insert the Windows XP CD. The Windows XP CD might be having SP1 along with it.

I got the Windows XP CD in the rom drive, but it is asking this "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 CD is needed". And then it will say to type the path where the file is located and I dont have a clue where it is located. I checked at the setuperr.log and it says that D:\I386\OEMBIOS.cat is invalid... Error Code is 80096019.

You can check the below link for more information, actually, the reason for this error is that the computer cannot communicate with the CD drive.

"The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed" error message when you install Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311755

I have now formatted the drive and trying to do a new install of Windows XP. Everything is working fine but I have to activate XP. Thanks for the replies.

I am having the same problem, how do you reformat the drive?

If you wan to format your Hard Drive, you need to boot your system with your XP CD. Please tell us exactly what you are trying to do as we don't know yet what your problem is. XP SP1 is very old and you should move away from it and install SP3 now. You can even download SP1.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=19751