Thread: Change or remove buttons missing from Add/Remove

Change or remove buttons missing from Add/Remove

The change or remove buttons are missing from all but 2 of my programs listed. Also many of the icons have changed to the generic icons. I went to this registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and it only shows 2 programs that have been installed in the last couple of days. Can anyone tell me a way to get the programs back in that location? Thanks.

Re: Change or remove buttons missing from Add/Remove

It seems to me that the branch is been deleted completely by a third party software. Can you try to do a System Restore rollback and see if that works?

Can you try to access the System Volume Information folder and find the most current registry files saved that contains the Uninstall information. After that you can load the Software hive into the current registry, export the Uninstall key from that bacckup and them unload the hive. Now you can try to merge the exported hive registry file into you current registry.

When I was in normal mode then the system volume folder is empty and access is denied. If I go to safe mode then I was able to change for view hidden system folders, however when I look for the system vol folder then it is not there. What is up with that. Also when I use Safe Mode then the resolution is so low that it makes the windows so large i cant make changes most of the time.

Try to get into the system volume information folder that is located in the drive where the Windows is installed. After that, open a sub folder that was not created at the current time. You might need to click details on the View menu to check when these folders were created. There might be one or more folders starting with RPx under this folder. That are the restore points.

Re: Change or remove buttons missing from Add/Remove

You can also try to edit the .REG file using Notepad, and replace every instances of the below line:

HKEY_USERS\MyBackup\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

replace with the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

After that save the file. Right-click and choose "Merge".

Several people have suggested to me that I restore the system to some prior date. This is something I have done on occasion to fix other problems. However, windows will not allow a restore to run -- I have tried about 7 different dates and always get a message that the restore failed. Perhaps someone smarter can figure out if these problems are related.