Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Login: unable to type password at welcome screen (several PCs)

Login: unable to type password at welcome screen (several PCs)

This is a bit weird problem that I am facing while trying to login in Windiows. There are around 3 pc at my office. When I try to login Windows on welcome screen it freezes. Nothing works there. Even after hitting ctrl + alt + del nothing happens. I am not able to figure out the problem here. Before this use to work. While the other two looks like working fine. Only the system that I am using hangs a lot on welcome screen.

Hi Cecil and Kenneth,

I faced the same problem, and here is the command that fixed it.

regsvr32 shgina.dll

Press Enter.

Re: Login: unable to type password at welcome screen (several PCs)

Try to run windows update here. It looks like some kind of issue with your windows. Basically when windows freezes on welcome screen it is unable to load the explorer due to which you are getting problem. It is recommended that you must try to boot your system in safe mode and run updates. That might fix the issue. You can also perform system restore here through Safe mode. This will restore the old settings back.

Looks like some startup application is causing the problem. Try to boot your system in safe mode by hitting F8 constantly on boot. Once you are in type msconfigu in Start > Run box. Go to startup and disable all the unwanted services. Then restart your pc. You will be able to boot back properly. I got the issue due to a theme that I installed. But as I removed that in safe mode it works well.

unable to type password at welcome screen

My Windows XP was working great and I faced the same kind of issue here. I am having around 5 users in a single pc with different password. Now everytime when someone try to login there is a problem with freezing. I had also kept a guest account on. The system works well in that. I found the file which is behind this issue is “regsvr32 shgina.dll”. I am looking to get proper fix for the same.

This issue mostly lies due to corruption of explorer.exe and it is a virus problem. You have to scan your system in safe mode and check back. You have to run a full system scan under safe mode and ensure that there is no infected left. System restore is a good option here. But if there is a virus in your system then system restore will put it back.

I am getting this problem on a bigger network. There are around 15 pc configured on the lan setup. All of them are on Windows XP. I am not able to find out any issue related to this. I had seen that when people try to login the desktop takes a bit long time to appear. While for some pc it works well. I performed system restore on some pc, which are working, but I think the problem can appear back.

McAfee installed?

It is sure that your system is having virus and due to which you are facing problem. Does login works proper in safe mode. If yes then scan your system. I do not think there is any tool available that can repair explorer.exe. Try to disable some startup services and then check back. If nothing works out then you will need to format your system and install xp back.

Try some bootable antivirus scanner. I am sure that will be much more helpful in giving you a proper fix. Keep re-installing windows xp as last solution only. If nothing works out then the only option left is to simply install windows back by removing everything. And if you are able to get in safe mode then just take your data backup. This will be safer before going for number of troubleshooting solutions.
    Last edited by marcolopes; 08-06-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Possible Solution

I got a similar issue where on boot I was unable to see the mouse cursor . And it take really long time to boot. There are 5 users on it. The system freezes on the boot screen. I went under safe mode and simply ran disk cleanup. This wiped out all unnecessary files from the system. Later on I also cleaned the Temp Internet files. Disk cleanup took time but it wiped out lots of files from the system. I performed windows update and the system started working properly.

IE settings have a WIDE range of consequences! That a reason why i hate IE so much: It messes up with many things that aren't IE related. Concerning the last post, i can tell you that i have a 50MB cache in IE7 and the login problem still persists. So, at least in my case, that's not the issue. I am bit doubtufl about the IE cache. I am definitely sure this is not the case but there can be number of other problem with boot.

I've had the same login issue for months and was wondering if anyone knows the fix.
    I cannot find Microsoft security update KB923191 in add/remove programs or c/windows to uninstall it, however Windows Update and Belarc Advisor both show it successfully installed.
    I have read on a couple other sites that this update is the problem. Could someone please explain to me how to remove this update?

How to remove MS security update: Kb923191

Recently there are some updates which were installed in my system. And I think due to them the issue appear. Because just after adding the update the system starting freezing. Later on I went inside Uninstall Program and removed the update. Things went back to normal. There is no problem at all with the system. You must also remove some recent updates from your system and check back.

I too was unable to login to Windows XP (media center edition) despite having the correct password. This problem persisted even when I created a user account that did not require a password. It occurred "randomly" when switching user accounts or when logging in after the screen saver exits to windows screen. Rebooting did correct this problem.I followed instructions to remove a update. The update was Kb923191. This seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks very much everyone, this bug was seriously annoying!

Isn't it dangerous to remove a windows update like this? I can understand doing it to fix the logon problem, but doesn't that pose a security risk by not having this patch? I would rather have the inconvenience of having to resort to the classic login prompt where you have to enter a username and password than to remove something that could keep my computer safer. I have two accounts on the computer, one an administrator account and the other a limited account. I have the administrator account password protected and I too have run into this issue of being unable to type a password on the welcome screen. I don't have to reboot to fix it though. Sometimes if I log into the limited account where I don't have to enter a password and then log out again and try clicking on the admin name again it then shows the cursor and I can type a password.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast