Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Login: unable to type password at welcome screen (several PCs)

unable to type password at welcome screen

As yet I haven't tried to remove the update mentioned in previous posts, but I have come upon a quick way around the problem. Hold down "ctrl" and "alt", and press "delete" twice. This gets you into another login screen where I have alway been able to enter my password without fail.

[QUOTE... I have come upon a quick way around the problem. Hold down "ctrl" and "alt", and press "delete" twice. This gets you into another login screen where I have alway been able to enter my password without fail.[/QUOTE] Yes, as Cecil Ward said in the original post!

Microsoft is aware of the problem and suggests that the installation of any of several updates can cause the problem. However, they do not provide a "fix" ... only a "Workaround". I just got off the phone with MS and they recommended to me to remove this update KB923191 for now and the issue should be fixed in SP3 that is planned to be released in about 25 days.

Check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify for keys that lead to removed/non-existing or disabled services. In my case AtiExtEvent key caused all the trouble, not any of the file versions in the hotfixes.

Not fixed in SP3 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Folks,
    I just got off the phone with MS and they recommended to me to remove this
    update KB923191 for now and the issue should be fixed in SP3 that is planned
    to be released in about 25 days.
    Unfortunately, this problem is *not* fixed in SP3. I'm still seeing this issue on XP Home after successful SP3 installation.

I see the same problem with SP3 as well, and the annoying thing is there's no way to remove the KB that causes it, since it's now part of the service pack.

Logging on to an operating system should be possible, no?

Yes, I understand that SP3 means Service Pack 3. My point was that I can't now remove the individual KB that (allegedly) causes this problem, I'd have to remove the complete service pack, as you suggest.

If I do remove SP3, I'd then have to install all the KBs individually, which would be time-consuming.

I've reported this issue to MS, I'll post here if they get back to me with any solution.

Type (or cut and paste) the following in the “Run” box

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB923191$\spuninst

Once the folder window opens, double click the spuinist icon ( one with PC and box ) and the update will uninstall.
    From here on out users should be able to type login passwords into the welcome screen without any trouble.

Good Luck!

I strongly suspect "fixed in SP3" does not mean "fixed by SP3," but rather that the version of this update that's bundled into in SP3 does not itself cause the same problem, so that if you have not installed it before but now install SP3 you should be OK.

I've uninstalled the original KB923191 as advised by Mike and others, well after installing SP3, and the fix seems to work as to the login password box; now let's see if doing so broke any of the things the original KB923191 was related to and I have to reinstall SP3.

Solution: Windows XP Password prompt annoying problem

I had trouble with a windows XP password prompt that would make the system beep and display a prompt asking for administrator password and would accept "Admin" or any other password.....this was so annoying an repetative. It would take Admin in Safemode but would prompt on each restart. Failed solution: Typing, "Control Userpassword2" under, Start, Run, Enter, and remove check "Users must enter user's name and password".......this failed to work for me. There are two password prompts each time windows starts up the annoying on with a beep comes first, then the genuine one with your name, eg "Morris" also asking for the password, but this genuine one you sometimes don't get any access too. The annoying prompt: with words like "The system could not log you on. Make sure User Name and Domain are correct, type you password again. Letters in the password must bee typed using the correct case."

PROBLEM i learnt was that windows expects a password and its not getting one loaded right, thats the very problem. SOLUTION TO ELIMINATING THE ANNOYING WINDOWS XP PASSWORD PROMPT THAT WON'T TAKE GENUINE PASSWORDS....This is what worked for me. Click Start > Run > Type "Control Userpassword2", and press Enter. Make sure "Users must enter user's name and password".......prompt is checked, this is very important!....not Unchecked as some website suggest. On the same screen below it says "Administrator Password" with a button " Reset Password"...Click this button enter password, "Admin" and "Admin" again to confirm. Click OK to save and get out of that screen, now restart the Windows XP system. The annoying prompt doesn't come up, but only the genuine Windows Login password prompt comes up, I enter my password and I get through with ease each and every time. Thats how you get it solved, its given me about 3 weeks headache before I solved it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12