Thread: Movie Maker crashes upon startup

Movie Maker crashes upon startup

Huge problems with Movie maker on Windows XP Pro SP2 system. I am using this from long time and Movie maker as well was working good. But suddenly don’t know what went wrong now whenever I try starting Movie Make it pop ups with error “windows movie maker has encountered a problem and needs to close”

In order to fix the same I downloaded some patches and did Windows Update. Since then though the error stopped for a while and now whenever I try to launch, WMM crashes and prompt me to generate a report to Microsoft Please help.

RE: Movie Maker crashes upon startup

I have been through this but as able to fix it for few weeks. What I did was I restored my system back to a restore point I created 40 days ago. It made movie maker work for some weeks but again it started crashing with the error ‘need to be closed’. There is no other information in the error that I can use to troubleshoot.

Re: Movie Maker crashes upon startup

One of my friend was annoyed with movie maker on his system and called me to fix it. I did some research and what I came to know was that Internet Explorer 7 was main source of problem behind this. Not only IE7, if you have this you might also have Sony Picture Package 1.5 as well as WinDVD Creator 2. Well what I had to do was just uninstalled IE7 and everything got fixed.

That sounds great you were able to fix it so simply. And thanks for sharing the solutions as well. I'll try to do the same.

Movie Maker Crashes upon Opening. Help!

Trying to make a movie with the collection of my images on pc running Windows XP. This is the very first time am using movie make but as soon as I launch the program it gives me an error saying “windows movie maker has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

Any help would be appreciated .

Re: Movie Maker Crashes upon Opening. Help!

Am too using Windows XP since last 5 years but dint came through this situation hense don’t have exact idea what could be the cause behind this but while searching web for the same I came to know that many users have reported the same error and the reason in most of the cases was Internet Explorer 7.

So, did you upgrade your browser recently to IE 7? If yes, than the very simple solution is to uninstall IE7 and the problem will be fixed.

RE: Movie Maker Crashes upon Opening. Help!

Yes I did upgrade to IE 7 but it was 2 months ago and the browser was working fine. But as per your suggestion I removed the same and now back to IE6 but yet the same result. Getting the encountered error while launching movie maker. What s now ?

Re: Movie Maker Crashes upon Opening. Help!

I too had the same problem with my Movie Maker. The surprising part in my case was IE 7 was running on my 3 PCs but the error was occurring on only one of them, rest 2 systems were working fine with Movie Maker. So, I doubt if Internet Explorer can be causing any problem with Movie Maker. After searching lots of forums, finally I came to a post that helped me fixing the same. You should check out the same as well. Click this link.

Re: movie maker crashes on opening

As Movie maker is Windows built-in component I don’t think it can be re-installed to fix the error like we do with various other applications. However, I too came through many post that removing IE7 usually fix the Movie maker startup problem but as you said you already tried and it dint worked, lets try out one more troubleshoot.

Somewhere I read that if we disable ffdshow code, it could help. So you should try out doing the same. To do this, launch Movie Maker click on Tools > Options > Compatibility Tab. Here you will find an option for ffdshow, just uncheck the box and click OK.

Thanks buddy I tried to disable the ffdshow but while following the path you mentioned I dint found the compatibility tab as well. I mean, I went till Tools > Options but there is no Compatibility Tab. Now what ?

I should be sorry to be late here because it seems like there are many people with the said error and I had fixed it successfully on mine couple of weeks ago. Yes, I too was frustrated with the same problem with my Movie Maker and while searching for some help I found various suggestions on various forums. Someone said to uninstall IE 7 (like people said here as well), somebody said to re-install WinDVD, etcc. But at one place I found someone saying to delete 2 copies of qedit.dll and launch movie maker immediately. This is what worked for me. So people facing errors should follow the same.

You will find these files at “c:\windows\system32\qedit.dll” and “c:\windows\system32\dllcache\qedit.dll”. if you don’t get this files on these locations, search for the same on your pc. Once deleted, launch the movie maker immediately because it will e-instate the deleted qedit.dll files as soon as you launch Movie maker.

Will be better if you will launch Movie Maker from c:\program files\movie maker\moviemk.exe.

Thanks for the info buddy. Your solution of deleting qedit.dll file really work but sounds like it is only temporary solution. I mean, it works fine until we are working on WMM but as soon as or the next time you launch Movie Maker again it crashes and gives the same error.

Movie maker crashes when you open it. (This is on Windows XP) When you check the event viewer it tells you that you have an issue with qedit.dll. If you have Inter video installed, go to program Files and simply rename the Inter Video directory to Inter Video-old or something. Now open Windows Movie Maker and it should open without a crash.

Here is the interesting thing, after I renamed Inter Video and opened WMM I went back and renamed the Intrer Video directory to its original name and WMM still works.

Movie maker crashes when you open it. (This is on Windows XP) When you check the event viewer it tells you that you have an issue with qedit.dll. If you have Inter video installed, go to program Files and simply rename the Inter Video directory to Inter Video-old or something. Now open Windows Movie Maker and it should open without a crash.

Here is the interesting thing, after I renamed Inter Video and opened WMM I went back and renamed the Intrer Video directory to its original name and WMM still works.