Thread: Getting online with new XP OS

Getting online with new XP OS

I recently obtained an HP laptop which was scheduled for recycle from my company's IT dept. I only had to replace the hard disc and install a new OS.

XP has been successfully installed, but I am having trouble getting it to connect to the internet.

My home network is DSL with a wireless router, however, I am only interested in connecting the added computer via wire. I have tried an ethernet cable from a router port. I also tried connecting directly to the DSL modem, bypassing the router altogether. I even tried accessing the modem through it's ip address. Result: Internet Explorer could not open the search page.

This is probably a simple setup issue for someone who knows what they are doing, but I don't qualify.

Thanks

Re: Getting online with new XP OS

This can be a nightmare as the screens for creating an internet network connection are somewhat outdated if the XP installation disk is a bit old, i.e. without service packs 1 and 2. It is best to check with your ISP that there is nothing their end which blocks a connection, basically if you are connected they can see your machine or at least your router. If your physical connection is ok then it is a matter of creating a network connection together with the appropriate settings on Internet Explorer under "Tools" then "Internet Options" then "Connections". Most ISP's now work if the Connections are set to be created automatically. The simplest way in my opinion is to connect your existing computer to the internet via the router and then connect the newly installed laptop to one of the the spare ports on the router and try to set the system up by sharing the internet connection between the two computers. I have always found this aspect of XP a bit unfriendly as it was developed when dial up was the major way of connecting. An ADSL modem does not dial up anything. A new router attached to the system has to be set up by typing 192.168.0.1 or something similar to enable routing or comes with automated installation software, some routers do not work well with some ISP's at all. Perhaps someone in the community can help to walk you through exactly where the connectivity problem is.

I already contacted my ISP and they told me they could "see" my modem, and that the problem was with my computer. As far as it being an old XP disc, I just bought it and had it shipped to me about a week ago. I don't know if this helps.

Assuming you have all the wires in the right place you probably encountered the wizard to create a network connection. If you have a network you can check from the DOS command prompt. 'Start' 'All Programs' 'Accessories' it should be black with a C: on it, type ipconfig and press enter. It should display some kind of IP Adress. If it doesn't, a network connection needs to be configured or reconfigured.

Thanks for your help, hoobs. It's all settled now. Given the brand new hard drive, there were no drivers installed, including an ethernet controller. I was finally able to download the driver on my other system and transfer it via thumb drive. It was fine after that.

Ooops!!! We all forget to check our drivers from time to time.