Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

cannot open "add/remove programs" in control panel

Windows XP Support

Old 18-09-2006

cannot open "add/remove programs" in control panel

I was trying to uninstall a software that I just now installed which told the user to use Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove it. But the issue is that I am not able to open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? I am the admin of this computer and nobody else.

Old 18-09-2006

Have you tried going to Start > Run and then pasting the below command and then pressing enter:

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl

After doing that check whether you are able to open add/remove programs or not?
Old 28-03-2011

Re: cannot open "add/remove programs" in control panel

I ran %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl

but stil cannot open Add.remove programs
Old 28-03-2011

Re: cannot open "add/remove programs" in control panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudway View Post
I ran %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl

but stil cannot open Add.remove programs
What operating system are you using and are you logged in as administrator on your pc? It sounds as though there is a restriction in place. To fix this, you will have to edit your registry. Create a restore point before attempting this.

Go to Start > Run and type:

regedit

then OK. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Uninstall and look in the righthand pane for the below value:

NoAddRemovePrograms

If it is present, doubleclick on it and change the value data to "0" (without the inverted comma's) and reboot.

If it is not present, try creating it. Go to Edit > New > DWORD value and name it:

NoAddRemovePrograms

When you have created it, doubleclick on it and set the value data to 0 and reboot.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: