Thread: Registry values for power schemes

Registry values for power schemes

I am running several workstations running with Windows XP. As my title says due to some reasons I want configure globally the details for specific power scheme of all these workstations. So I wanted to know if there are any specific registry values that I can use for the same? If yes, please let me know in details. Many Thanks.

Re: Registry values for power schemes

Is there is a key and you can find it under HKEY_USERS and hence in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER child. You would have to change it at each user SID, which is not very practical so push it instead to the User child key when the users logon.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\CurrentPowerPolicy

Possible values set here are: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as from the PowerPolicies subkey. There might be a problem changing the values as you need Administrator privileges or have to impersonate to change the values. Granting users Full Control permissions on:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies

Will allow them to change the Power Options without Administrator privileges.

Thank you very much for the help Sidharth. I searched those registries but dint found it anywhere. There is no such entries. Let me tell you that i actually want to set more detailed ones. for example, after what duration the monitors should turn Off and such kind of tasks. I want to know if there is any entry for this?

Thanks again.

You'll want the Microsoft command line tool "powercfg.exe", as documented here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324347
    Now the trick would be figuring out how to run that as an Admin, and affect a user's power configuration. The best you can do easily is get the user to run powercfg.exe as a script.

You might want to check out this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915160
    titled: How to use Powercfg.exe to create a Group Policy object for power schemes in Windows XP

What I dont understand is why M$ could not make this as a standard policy in an .ADM file.
    Also I don't understand why one cant just put
    powercfg.exe /change "always on" /monitor-timeout-ac 20
    powercfg.exe /SETACTIVE "always on"
    in the login script.

Got a couple of new workstations that shutdown on the logon screen... never had this problem before. Somehow this is a new problem, never had this before in 6 years installing MANY XP-machines.
    Ow well... new day same shit...

Hi John, I am interested in doing what you have posted way above in regards to making all users have the ability to have the ability to change their power scheme ... I just don't know what values to change to what in the regedit (in what you listed above)...can you give more detail to that?

Thanks.