Thread: SIDEWINDER STRATEGIC COMMANDER

Sidewinder Strategic Commander

Is there anyone who can tell me from where I can get the official driver and for the Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander for Windows XP OS? It will be also fine if anyone can redirect me for the unofficial driver that is working for this mouse. Thanks for any information.

Re: SIDEWINDER STRATEGIC COMMANDER

I am using Strategic Commander that is connected to Windows XP SP2 system and it is working fine. The steps that I took was to connect the Strategic Commander to my computer and then let Windows XP detect it as an HID device, and then I installed the software from the CD that came with it. What is the issue you are seeing with your Strategic Commander?

Thanks for the information, I just installed it yesterday and it worked fine. As you have said it detected it as a HID keyboard and that was the problem. I was actually trying to install it as a gamepad device.

Re: Sidewinder Strategic Commander

I actually lost the CD that came with this SIDEWINDER STRATEGIC. So, is there anyone who can tell me from where I can get the software for this device? Thanks

You can try to follow the link below and they might be able to help you.

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;326246

Help !

Microsoft help is no help.
    I input my product ID and it tells me it's wrong.
    My Commander was a gift a few years ago and used for only a few hours.
    As you do, I threw the CD away a while ago, Assuming I could just get the latest software release when i wanted to use it.
    I desperately need the software. I would appreciate if anyone knows where i can download it.

Yves Leclerc wrote...
    "Official support from Microsoft has been discontinued but there are several
    "loyal" fan sites."
    the Links would be great.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, new user here...

I'm experiencing some troubles (several) with MS Sidewinder Strategic Commander and Windows XP Pro SP1.

First, I tried to connect it to an USB port but it was not detected. Actually, no lights turned on, and not even the traybar showed any new hardware connection.

So... what did I do in order to have it detected by Windows XP?

Step 1. Deleted all ghost devices

(With my joystick plugged in)
    I restarted my computer and booted in Safe Mode. I entered the Device Manager and deleted every entry that looked like Sidewinder Strategic Commander.
    I repeated this procedure for those entries under (sic) "Games, media and sound" branch and USB devices.
    Then, I turned off my computer.

Step 2. Reinstall

(With my joystick plugged off)
    Restarted my computer, booted in Normal mode.
    When Windows was fully loaded and I was back at the Desktop, I plugged in my joystick. I don't remember having Windows detect anything. However, without giving away my hopes, I went to the CP and then hit the Game devices icon.
    Clicked Add and selected Microsoft Sidewinder (Autodetect), hit OK. An "Microsoft Sidewinder Pro joystick" was added to the list.
    I restarted my computer. However, no lights were turned on... back on Windows 98, everytime I restarted my computer, the lights used to turn on.

I tried to use my joystick but I couldn't get it to work on any game... and the Sidewinder Pro layout is nothing like ...

------------------------------

Unfortunately, I don't have the CD and they don't have any stock to replace Sidewinder 4.0 drivers, here, in Latin America.
    I tried to download a SW 4.0 I found on DriverGuide... however, the setup was for Sidewinder Gamepad Pro...

I'm not sure if SW4.0 was designed to be a generic driver or if every USB joystick had their own modified SW4.0 driver version... after installing it, nothing happened.

I read (on other site):
    To program the buttons for a particular game, Press the REC button and press any key to configure the devices on the fly.

Too bad it's not working :(

Am I missing something? I tested my joystick on a Win98 computer and it worked just fine. It's becoming really frustrating and I'm really disappointed at Microsoft for not having any SW4 downloads on their site and just a few KB articles on Strategic Commander.

A friend of mine has the CD that came with his own Sidewinder Strategic Commander... SW 4.0 for WinXP (actually, for Win2k) designed for Strategic Commander should be on it, right?

Help please.

I'll try to update my VIA 4in1 drivers to check if it works and once I have Windows recognize it as a Strategic Commander, I'll try to get the scheme editor which is on the CD.

it's me... again :P

Unfortunately, won't have any luck with the 4in1 update. My motherboard is an Intel D865GBF... I couldn't find any chipset update for my mobo, and then I found this:

"INF: IntelĀ® Chipset Software Installation Utility"
    Description: This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB and AGP.

I'm not sure if I need to install this update.

So far I tried the following...
    (the joystick was plugged in)
    On my father's computer, which has the same hardware configuration as mine, I had my friend's CD copied and installed the SW 4.0 software on the computer. The setup ended OK, and then I went to Game Devices, added a "Microsoft Sidewinder (Autodetect)" device... a "Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro" was added to the list... it said it was "Not connected".

Restarted the computer and still, when I tried to run the Strategic Commander Scheme editor, nothing came up. No lights were turned on, and didn't feel like installing any game to test it.

Reinstalled the software and then, an error msg came up: "the system cannot detect your SideWinder Strategic Commander (...)". Clicked OK, launched the software again and nothing happened... I tried to reinstall it but nothing happened.

However...

1. Should my stategy joystick have its lights turned on when I turn on my PC?

2 And... eventually, after updating my USB controller, will Windows list my Strategic Commander as a MS Sidewinder Stategic Commander in Game Devices list?

Because I got into this MS KB Article:
    Strategic Commander: Device Does Not Appear in Game Controllers Tool in Control Panel - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274401

But since it looks like a Win9x-Me article, I'm not sure if this thing goes for WinXP, because I remember having my Strategic Commander listed under Mouse/Keyboard instead of Game controllers (in Device Admin, on Windows 98 SE) but had no experience on WinXP :p

Well... that's pretty much it.

I'll appreciate any help. Thanks again,
    Lux.

Got it to work with 32 bit vista but havent with 64 yet. If anyone haveing trouble with the 32 bit my msn is cosg1sgc@yahoo.com i may be able to help