Thread: Logitech QuickCam Driver breaks WinXP USB Audio Driver MIDI

Logitech QuickCam Driver breaks WinXP USB Audio Driver MIDI

I am now too frustrated with this and hope someone can give me permanent solution. My system running on Windows XP uses MIDI capabilities of builtin USB audio driver in order to do update product firmware over USB. The problem started when i bought a Logitech Quickcam and installed Logitech Drivers as well its Software. Since then the firmware update utility is not able to communicate with our hardware via the built-in USB Audio Driver.

Thought the device properties is showing that device is installed and working properly, I cannot see the MIDI ports in the Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices-> AUDIO tab-> MIDI music playback default device drop-down. Surprising when I uninstalled the Logitech drivers MIDI ports appeared suddenly in the drop down of the playback default device.

I have already done enough research on this but unable to get whether the problem is of my system (Windows XP SP2) or from Logitech end. Can you guys help ?

Well coincidentally you have exactly the same problem I had 2 months ago. After wasting about 2 weeks finally I came through a fix that helped me and am sure will fix yours too. What you need to do is just delete the 2 following registry values : UpperFilters and LowerFilters. In my case it was two, not sure if you will be having only one of them.

To delete this entries, go to start > Run > type Regedit.exe > Press Enter.
    Now navigate to the following locations and find UpperFilters and LowerFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Click the Edit menu and delete them. Once done, close the registry window and unplug the Audio device, uninstall the USB Audio Device and replug the same. Wait till system recognizes the same and complete the rest of the work.

Problem solved

Thanks for sharing the same buddy. BTW, even I have been through this and here is what I did:

• Opened registry editor by going to Start > Run > regedit.exe
    • Located HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and deleted the two items "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters"
    • Later went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11DO-BEC7-08002BE2092F} and deleted the item "LowerFilters"
    • Later went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC5-810F-11DO-BEC7-08002BE2092F} and deleted "UpperFilters"
    • Went back to root of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ and did a search for "LVUSBSTA". I deleted any entry found for “LowerFilters” under "Control\Class" area

Once done came back to MIDI and uninstalled midi device driver. As said above I did the same thing, unplugged and replugged the device back.

Re: Logitech QuickCam Driver breaks WinXP USB Audio Driver MIDI

A thousand blessings upon your home and ancestors, bc57. This was exactly the problem I had -- 4 years later than your post.

I assume this is a Logitech flaw -- unbelievable that they haven't fixed this in that long a time.

Thank you to all in this thread. My mini is working finally!

Re: Logitech QuickCam Driver breaks WinXP USB Audio Driver MIDI

The problem can be solved very simple, if you love your live please don't try to make a bigger mess out of any Microsoft product as it is already.

The solution for most of you is..... put AN USB-HUB between the laptop and keyboard (10 euros, dollars or pounds).

I fixed my problems with an Acer, Toshiba and Fujitsu laptops. Strange enough no problems with desktops. I also have a feeling (this is the MicroSoft way) that the SoundMax drivers have something to do with the way of communication between MS config and USB ports.

cheers
    Oskar