Thread: 16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error S32EVNT1.DLL

16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error S32EVNT1.DLL

I am using a Dell 8200 with Windows XP system. I have been using Symantec antivirus since long time on this computer but removed it about 2 months ago. Since i am using McAfee on this system without any problems. Now, two days i installed Brother MFC-5440CN printer/fax/copier/scanner & installed the MFC-5440CN MFL-ProSuite software/driver. That too went fine without any problem but since then every time i start the computer, it gives me an error message saying:

"16 Bit Windows Subsytem c:\Program~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Driver failed Dll initialization. Chose Close to terminate the application."

The pop has two buttons including "Close" and "Ignore". When i click on close i can move ahead but the performance gets too sluggishly. And if i click on Ignore, it error keeps popping up. I understand that the reference to the Program~1\Symantec may be a hold over in the registry from my uninstalling the software...even though a file search using the word symantec turns up nothing. So what i want to know if there is any way i can get rid of this error pop up?

Please help.

Re: 16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error S32EVNT1.DLL

Before i can suggest you anything can you just tell me What Symantec product were you using earlier? Until you reply just see if the information provided in the following MS KB can help.

"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314452/EN-US/

It was Norton Antivirus which i was using before MacAfee. I guess the problem could be the left over files or registry keys left while removing the Symantec. So if you also think this could be the reason, can you please tell me what should i do now?

By the way, thanks for the MS URL. However i would like to know if that 16 Bit DOS-MS Subystem steps will be working for a 16 Bit Windows Subsystem error?

Hello HandelMan. Yes, you can use that link as it is applicable to a 16 Bit Windows Subsystem error as well because the Symantec knowledge base also provides the same solution . You can check the same here:

Error: "S32evnt1.dll. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization" http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

According to this article, updating the Symevent files after editing the registry. You need not perform that portion as you no longer have that product installed.

Thank you very much for the help buddy. Thats exactly i wanted. It worked very fine. Again, my sincerest thanks.