Thread: Print Spooler

Print Spooler

I want to reinstall my printer because somehow it got deleted from the printers and for some reason I cannot get my print spooler to start up. After going through the control panel, I have tried to start it manually but when I do that then I get "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." Can anyone tell me how to start print spooler? Thanks

RE: Print Spooler

You need to go to Start > Control Panel > Printers and Faxes and delete the printer first. After that tr to reboot your PC and XP's plug & play feature should come up with a message that new hardware was found and ask you if you want to install it. Just click on yes and let it do its thing. It may ask you to insert the installation disk with the drivers.

I dont have any printer in the printer folder currently, it deleted it somehow and now I am trying to install it again but it says that the print spooler has not been started. If I am trying to start it manually, then it gives me the error 1068.

Did you ensure that the Print Spooler Service is running? You can type services.msc by going to Start and then Run, and then scroll down the list of Servicse. If in the 'Status' column for the Print Spooler Service you don't see 'Started' right click that Service and select 'Start'. Check to see you have the service named: LexBce Server. It might be disabled, Go to its properties and set it to automatic, and then start it. After that check if you can restart teh print spooler service.

Re: Print Spooler

Thanks for responding. This print spooler is not running and if I click on the start then I get a 1068 error message that says that the dependency service failed to start and from there I dont have any idea where to go.

Nowmally, a 1068 is a service dependency error. The Print Spooler can't start because it thinks a service it depends on is not running.

Click on start and then run and then type services.msc. After that go into services and check its dependencies, it should just be the RPC service, which you shouldn't be able to stop, check that RPC is running. After that double click print spooler and click the dependencies tab. See if there are any other dependencies set besides rpc. If so you will want to find them in services and make sure they are set to automatic and are running (will probably need to start them). Then try to start "Print Spooler" service, should work. May need to reinstall printer drivers then.

Re: Print Spooler

Answer straight from Microsoft

When trying to start the Print Spooler Service, Error 1068 means "The dependency service does not exist. or the dependency service or group failed to start."

Depending on your environment and your type of printer installed, your Print Spooler Service will have other dependent services that must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start. If the dependent services are not running, you will see an error 1068 or similar message about dependent services when trying to start the Print Spooler Service.

Some Lexmark printers will add their own services to XP and the starting of the Print Spooler Service lists them as dependencies and therefore those Lexmark Services must be running before the Print Spooler service will start. It may be listed as the LexBce Server.

Do you now or have you ever had have any Lexmark printers installed? If yes, are you still using the Lexmark printers?

Depending on your printing environment, if you are using another kind of printer, you may have other Service listed in the Dependencies tab of the Print Spooler Service.

Use the XP Services Applet to check the Print Spooler dependencies and options.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Click OK to open the Service Applet.

Locate the Print Spooler Service, right click it, choose Properties and then look at the Dependencies tab. The services listed there must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start. If they are not running, you will get an error 1068 or similar message about dependent services when trying to start the Print Spooler Service.

You should always see the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and maybe some others depending on the type of printer you have installed (Lexmark printers can add some Dependency Services to your XP configuration). All dependent services must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start.

The dependent Services may vary depending on the type of printers you have installed.

The RPC service is also necessary for a lot of other things to work properly and is usually always running and set to Automatic start.

If the RPC Service is not running and does not start Automatically, you may have some other problems, but start with the easy stuff first.

From the Services Applet, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and if it is not running, right click it and start it and set it to Automatic.

Then locate and start any other Print Spooler dependency services listed in the Dependency tab of the Print Spooler Service. Set the Startup type for those Services to Automatic so they will start automatically the next time you reboot your system (if that is your desire).

When everything is running the way you want, reboot and check your Services again to be sure they start up properly and resolve any further
    issues.

If the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is not listed as a dependency for your Print Spooler Service, you need to inform XP that the Print Spooler service depends on the RPC service.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter (including the important space after the equals sign):

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Click OK to assign the RPC service to the Print Spooler service, then be sure the RPC Service is running and start your Print Spooler Service.