Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Local Printer Attached to this Computer Greyed out for Standard User

Windows XP Support

Old 12-05-2006

Local Printer Attached to this Computer Greyed out for Standard User

I am using a Windows XP based desktop connected to network with several other computers. There is a Printer attached to this computer which is only available for the Administrator and not for any other user. So can anyone please tell me how do we enable "Local Printer Attached to this Computer" for local users and other Domain users?

I know it can be done but dont know how to do it. Thanks for all your helps.

Old 14-05-2006

re: Local Printer Attached to this Computer Greyed out for Standard User

Well you can do it easily by providing the correct permissions to Local Users. You can do it by going to Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > Right click on the Printer and click on Security tab. Here you can set the correct permissions. Just make sure you are logged in as Administrator.
Old 16-05-2006

Re: Local Printer Attached to this Computer Greyed out for Standar

I appreciate your help Katherina but that is not what i was looking for. I am not talking about permission, i want the standard users to add printers that do not exists. I mean the standard users should be able to create printers. They should have this rights without being an admin or power user etc. Is that possible?
Old 16-05-2006

Alright then i think you need to go through this MS KB describing A description of the user rights that a user must have to install or modify a local printer in Windows XP or Windows 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297780. See if it helps.
Old 18-05-2006

I dont know if this is suitable for you but i will suggest to become a Vista Beta user, standard users can add printers. All other Windows OS (excluding Win9x where everyone was admin), the minimum user able to install a printer using the Add printer wizard is Power Users. PnP devices will install for user but PnP runs in system context so the device is installed

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,