Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

renamed RtlGina.dll and won't start

Windows XP Support

Old 04-05-2006

renamed RtlGina.dll and won't start

The laptop logon screen had changed just now and the fast user switching was gone. I did try to reset it in User Accounts, but got a message about some program interfering and RtlGina.dll needs to be uninstalled. I dont know when I installed that but did see an MS update running in the tray. So, I tried to restoring back several points without any help.So I renamed rtlgina.dll to rtlgina.old and now my computer wont start and gives a message "user interface failure, DLL RtlGina.dll failed to load". I tried to recover console but cannot get the rename command to work, or dont really know exactly what to type, cant get SFC to run and have also tried chkdsk /r to no avail. Please help me out. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2006

Re: renamed RtlGina.dll and won't start

Are you using Linksys adapter? I am using same company adapter and the GTGina.dll is in the installation CD for the Linksys utility. It makes fast switching in XP to become locked. I have asked Linksys tech support about this and they were not awate of this incompatability. The fix for this issue is to uninstall the Linksys utility and use Windows XP wireless utility to connect. The wireless adapter works also fine.
Old 04-05-2006

Thanks for responding. I have installed a Netgear USB adapter, so that explains the RtlGina.dll file, good to see that its not a virus. I am still in need to get Windows XP started to uninstall the Gina file and cannot get past the "User interface Failure" message and black screen on startup. I want the exact command to rename the file from Rtlgina.old back to Rtlgina.dll from the command prompt in Recovery Console.
Old 04-05-2006

You can even try to delete the GinaDll from the registry. It can be done from a parallel installation of Windows XP, or by using BartPE bootable CD.
Old 04-05-2006

The second copy of Window can be deleted and the refrence in the boot.ini file can also be removed. You can try to use one of the below methods:

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm
Old 10-07-2008

What U Need 2 Do Is Reinstall Windows DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE It Will Result 2 U Not Being Able 2 Log Onto Ur Computer Ever Again*

The Netgear Wg111 Was Disabling The *Fast User Swicthing* So I Modyfied The File Then My Pc Wouldnt log On!!
Old 06-10-2008

there was something alittle easier you could have done.

start windows in safe mode using F8 key on post.

you then could have gone back to Windows/system32/Rtl8185 folder and renamed back to RtlGina.dll

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: