Thread: gathering exception data in halo

gathering exception data in halo

I bought Halo recently and playing it since last 3 days. My computer is having all Windows Update with all latest driver, hence my game was working fine for these 3 days. Now all of a sudden my game crashed and gave me an saying something “gathering exception data” it also say me to send report. I don’t have any idea about this error, I mean what to gather and what report to send.

Also I don’t know what is the reason of this sudden crash because the system is updated, virus free, no malware, etc. Can you guys help me fixing this ?

Re: gathering exception data in halo

I don’t think your System or the game is having any problems (as per your words). So probably there must be some memory issues. What you can do here is kill all unwanted processes running in the background before you start playing the game.

Open task manager by right clicking on the taskbar > task manager or Ctrl+ Alt + Del. Just leave explorer.exe process and kill all running under your user account name. Now start the game and see if you are getting the same error again.

Thanks for your suggestions friend. I tried doing the same, first I turned off all start up programs from MSCONFIG, rebooted the system and killed all process from task manager as you said but that dint worked. Still my game crashes.

While doing research for the same on web I found that there are many users facing the same problem with Halo and one common thing with most of them is system file type, may be its NTFS.

I think you should refer to this Microsoft Article about Game crashes or closes unexpectedly
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;303032

Most probable fixes

Method 1: Restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure
    Method 2: Remove and Reinstall the Game
    Method 3: Adjust graphics hardware acceleration
    Method 4: Disable AGP Texturing in the DirectX Diagnostic tool
    Method 5: Temporarily disable the sound card in Windows
    Method 6: Lower sound acceleration
    Method 7 : Download and install the most recent version of DirectX
    Method 8: Update your video driver
    Method 9: Update your sound driver
    Method 10: Scan your computer for viruses
    Method 11: Remove spyware
    Method 12: Install the latest VIA chipset drivers
    Method 13: Create a new user account in Windows XP
    Method 14: Change the compatibility setting

legokid201, i know for a fact this isn't just happening to you. Hey Paul Smith, maybe you can help me. I've done evrything i can... my problem is very similar to Legokid201's, but slightly more specific. Basically, When i finish the level "The Silent Cartographer" and the concluding cutscene finishes (immediately after Foehammer lowers the pelican underground), the game randomly closes and i get this "gathering exception data" error that Lego Kid is talking about. It's specifically this level, @ this point, it has never happened anywhere else. This is all on a legal, new copy of Halo: Combat Evolved for the PC.

Here's what I have tried so far:
    -Un-installing and reinstalling
    -Downloading all the latest patches (1.7 and 1.9)
    -Reloading from a saved checkpoint in the middle of "Silent Cartographer" or else starting a "new game" from the beginning of "Silent Cartographer"... the level works, but once again crashes upon completion of the level, as before.
    -Checked for bugs
    -Did a complete update of the game

That's it... I really have no idea what to do, and I really wanted to play this game so bad. Please help!

Halo to crash and cause "Gathering Exception Data" error messages occurs and if the error continues then click Start / Run: msconfig and disable all of the programs that are listed in the Startup tab.

It seems that Microsoft cannot build software that works with their own Windows versions... at all. It doesn't matter what you spend you money on for games... they need patches, they hang up, they don't work.

The PC industry is one big ripoff... starting with Microsoft.

I bought this HALO game too... same problem as you people have... I'm done with PC's. Time for an Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by treadwellcan View Post
    It seems that Microsoft cannot build software that works with their own Windows versions... at all. It doesn't matter what you spend you money on for games... they need patches, they hang up, they don't work.

The PC industry is one big ripoff... starting with Microsoft.

I bought this HALO game too... same problem as you people have... I'm done with PC's. Time for an Apple.
    Have you tried uninstalling the game completely using the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller. Do the Advanced uninstall and delete everything. The advanced uninstall gets rid of all the files pertaining to Halo. Then restart your computer. Usually it works for me just by uninstalling Halo completely (which includes removing saved data) from the windows control panel and re-installing Halo.