Thread: Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted, or

Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted, or

I recently bought a second hand game and when I am trying to run the game then I am getting the same error. Windows XP thinks that the game is an audio CD? I have tried to use the XP gaming website to check the compatability and the program scanned my pc and said it couldnt complete the scan due to technical difficulties? I have a Dell machine, please help me out.

Re: Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted, or

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run now button from the Automated Troubleshooting Services page and follow the steps in this wizard here - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

Re: Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted

The issue that you are facing may occur if one of the following conditions are true:
    1. There is a configuration issue with the CD-ROM drive.
    2. The MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) is damaged or is not installed properly.
    3. There is an issue with the CD-ROM media. For example, the program CD-ROM is damaged or dirty.

So to solve this issue follow the link here - http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;248263

Re: Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted

Since its a problem with the CD then it seems like the CDs autoplay is faulty or has been disabled. You can click on my computer and then click on the CD Rom to start it. If it still doesnt Autoplay then either right click it instead and choose Autoplay from the menu or if that fails right click the CD Rom and then choose Explore and click on the setup program.

Can you try to physically reinstall the drive and its cables to check if this issue might just be a cabling problem or not. You have to power down and unplug your pc before removing the device and then boot up without the device installed, power down the PC and unplug is again, reinstall the device and power up again.