Thread: Reboot and select proper boot device......

Reboot and select proper boot device......

At the time I am listening to music using WMP, then my pc will all of sudden reboot and show this error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". After I shutdown the computer and turn it on again, then I can login the Windows but after some time the computer restarts again and the same message appears. So I just used Windows Recovery console to repair the system and it started working fine. I am just thinking why this issue was happening? Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Reboot and select proper boot device......

It might be that the system is having some critical error and the automatically restart option has been selected in the startup and recovery options. So tryto right click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings Button. Under the System Failure, you have to uncheck the Automatically Restart option. It will then allow the error to be displayed when the problem is encountered.

I am getting the below errors but the date of that errors is months before the issue started:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: PerfNet
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2004
    Date: 4/8/2006
    Time: 10:15:44 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: YOUR-47375C5FC1
    Description:
    Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MSSQL$VAIO_VEDB
    Event Category: (8)
    Event ID: 19011
    Date: 4/14/2006
    Time: 1:02:28 PM
    Computer: YOUR-47375C5FC1
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$VAIO_VEDB ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (SpnRegister) : Error 1355.

Thanks

There doesnt seems to be much imformation that applies to what you are getting with the restarts unless it is the DVD drive that is failing? Have you got the disk in the DVD drive when the restarts occured? Have you checked the "automatically restart" option in the startup and recovery options when you checked it? If so, you may need to wait for the behavior to repeat. You should see a more informative error message when this happens. Make sure that you write down the first couple of lines if you see a "STOP', blue screen message and post that information back here in a reply.

Thanks for the reply, normally the issue occurs again just a few minutes ago This time, an error messenge is shown:
    STOP:0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x829FB470, 0x829FB5E4,0x805D1140)

Any clues?

Check the article made on "Connecting a hard disk drive in slave only mode leads to system halt during resume from standby" below to solve your issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100

Ive been having a similar prblem, i was playing football manager when the computer froze , i then switched the rebooted the pc to find this message 'reboot and select proper boot device' when ever i press any key the message just comes up again , and went i press ctrl , alt , del the pc just restarts . Does any one know why this is happening and how to fix this ?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: (100)
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 2/10/2010
    Time: 8:08:16 PM
    Computer: SOLOMON
    Description:
    Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0200f7a2.

could you help me pllz??

oh god now my computer is keep restart and restart can anyone help me i have go and run "eventwr" and i did found a error message showing

type:error
    user:n/a
    computer name:media-cs1
    source:application error
    categori:none
    even id:1000

descreption:
    faulting application pi wimax.exe .version.2.4.31.88. faulting module gpwimaxforbeceem.dll .version 2.2.20.73.fault address 0x0000d89a.

what problem am i having and keep showing this message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" aiyo........

There are two recommendations here. First this file can be a virus which is causing the issue. The other there is a specific application which is related to wifi on Windows. You will need to upgrade the drivers of your system. Boot in safe mode and for that press F8. Once the system run then try to run system restore. Disable any wifi adapter if you have. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Then in the list look for incompatible hardware.

i just found a network adapters that cross its name: ( Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2 ) what is it and another is WIMAX Network adapter that want does not have a cross......ah i know is the crossed program a network modem that connect the internet and it has problem because i have unplug that modem from my cpu??do i need to uninstall that ??

Hi atyh,

Normally, even if you unplug a device (modem in your case), then it doesnt matter if you uninstall its driver from your pc. Can you tell us how do you connect to the internet? Did you set up ICS - internet connection sharing? Have a read through the below links
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

i am now using a p1 wimax 4 gb broadband but its a trial only it count how much i use and now i only left 46 mb so i must have not much memory to connect to internet again so this is the last reply or i will check every week...so is it my 4gb broadband problem welll after i use all 4 gb i will uninstall this broadband so can this solve the problem?

Okay I have the same problem but there are some specifics. So I bought this new configuration (motherboard is intel), but I have no OS installed. I put in 10 different Windows disks, none of them boots (they boot on other pc's).
    I've tried all BIOS options, but no. I cannot open the case to check the cables because of the warranty. So this is what I think:

1. The CD drive cables are effed up so I have to try to boot from USB (which the BIOS recognizes as floppy; I'll manage the deal somehow). Do you think it will work since everything else fails?
    2. Any other suggestions? (besides returning the pc, which I will be forced to do anyway if the problem remains, but I want to try everything else first)
    Thanks

Hey this problem usually occurs when the the boot device is not properly selected in the BIOS. The BIOS has the options to select the hard drive from where you want to boot. You can even boot from the hard disk, pen drive or floppy drive. If you have selected some wrong device to boot from,then you will get this error. So it is recommended that you must first check a proper boot device by going to the BIOS setting and then select that options and then load the CPU from there. This will certainly solve all your problem.