Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Desktop not accessible

Windows XP Support

Old 29-01-2005

Desktop not accessible

I have a laptop which is running on Windows XP and I am the admin of this laptop. Recently when I logged on then my computer will not display my desktop icons. I am getting the message stating that "C:\Documents and
Settings\user\Desktop is not accessible." I also get the same message when I am trying to access my documents. I tried t restore from an earlier date, but that didnt work. After asking the manufacturer he said that only thing that can be done is to restore the laptop? Does anyone have any other ideas.

Old 29-01-2005

RE: Desktop not accessible

Check the below article that describes how to take ownership of a file or a folder to which you are denied access:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Old 17-10-2006

RE: Desktop not accessible

Try to take ownership of the folder:
  1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.
  2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
  3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  4. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:
    To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.
    To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.
  5. (Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/l.../cc753659.aspx

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: