Thread: XP hangs after welcome screen

XP hangs after welcome screen

I dont know why Windows XP is hanging after I type in my logon password at the Welcome screen. After I type in the password the pc hangs before the startup and sound is played. I am running a legal copy of Windows XP SP2 on Toshiba laptop with 1gb ram. I have also run Norton WinDoctor, DiskDoctor antiviruses. There only seems to be a single problem with a missing file from Microsoft's .NET framework called "mscvr80.dll" and I dont know what is this thing. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks.

Re: XP hangs after welcome screen

Can you try to disable automatic restart on system failure. After that you will be able to get a Stop code, or if can login to Safe Mode, then it is possible you can restart the system in normal mode later on. After the pc boots up, press F8 function key to get bootup options. Press F8 key and keep tapping it. You will then be able to see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option, just select it and give it a try.

Thank you, I enabled the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" but didnt get any error code. Also, I am able to login to Windows normally for 3-4times without any issues. I will check the situation over the next couple of days.

In the meanwhile, you can check what event viewer has in its log. You can select Start button and then Select Run, and then type in eventvwr.msc and press enter. Or you can go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Check the same sections and then look for errors or warnings that match the time the event actually occured. After that double click the information, which will give you hint.

After checking the Event Viewer I saw that the events didnt go back far enough to the last time my pc freeze after typing in the login password. I will try to check that out again the next time if and when the issue occurs.

XP SP2 hangs at Welcome Screen.

As I have bit similarity the issue posted here, I thought you can shed some light on my issue too. Here is the details.

I have a Dell latitude CSxH model, and one day when my friend was playing a game it got restarted and from then it gets hanged at welcome screen. So I have formatted and installed fresh windows XP sp2 and now I am able to login to windows in safe mode but not in normal mode, if I try to login through normal mode the system gets hanged at welcome screen.

I have checked the device manager and I see an error on my ethernet controller, is this causing the problem? and in eventvwr it says RPC call failed.

Even I suspect some boot virus in my system as it is laptop tell me options how to delete boot virus without removing hard disk.

Awaiting for your reply

Windows XP hangs after welcome screen

Hi All.

Please help me.

What it is I have installed pc doctor antispyware and uninstall it. After restart it doesn't load properly.

I can see the welcome screen there after wall paper but no desktop icons or start button or taskbar.

I had a similar issue whereby after locking the screen and subsequently trying to unlock it, I would only get the wallpaper for 60 seconds. Mouse pointer would move but no right-click, no icons, no taskbar. After banging my head against the wall for about a half hour I remembered that yesterday I had changed the "Tb2 Launch" (Timbuk2) service setting from Automatic/Started to Manual/(off). Starting it up again immediately resolved the issue.

So, if you have Timbuk2 installed, check the status of the Tb2 Launch service, turn it on and set it to start Automatically if it is not set that way.

Here's how:
    Under a login with Admin privileges, right-click My Computer and select Manage. Under the Services and Applications tree select Services, and then look for the Tb2 Launch service in the list on the right. Double click it to open the properties box, and make the change there.

I had the same issue on another computer several months ago but it took a while to remember this very simple solution. Good luck, and let me know if this works!

JR

Hi,

Myself Bayzid. This is my first post here. Pls try to sort out the problem.

My System boot perfectly and works fine but after some time say 30mins or 1 hour or any time my system gets hanged. I have tried both Windows XP pro SP2 and also XP x64. Whats the problem? Pls suggest me some solution.

My System Configuration:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Kingston 4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    Seagate 2*750GB HDD
    Cooler Master 600W Power Supply

Plz helo me what i do?.....

My Windows XP was also hanging after welcome screen, it was after fresh windows installation. I am using dell, once I installed windows, I also installed drivers like VGA, Network and sound etc.
    This was the activity which I performed after windows installation so when I removed network/lan driver by going to safe mode and restarted to normal mode the hanging problem got resolved.
    I will now download fresh copy of driver for lan from dell.