Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

NTVDM CPU ERROR MESSAGE

Windows XP Support

Old 10-03-2006

Ntvdm Cpu Error Message

I am getting NTVDM CPU ERROR MESSAGE on my screen. I am getting this error when I am trying to run cmd or regedit. I cannot open any of them. The complete error message description is "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction C5:0557 IP:fff2 OP:fe ff 1d 0902 Choose 'close to terminate the application". When I click on ignore nothing happens. There were lots of virus on my pc. Due to which I think this error generated. Can anyone provide me more information on this problem and the way to troubleshoot it.

Old 10-03-2006

Re: NTVDM CPU ERROR MESSAGE

The error is related to 16bit application on your system. It looks something has caused incomplete removal of some associated file which generated the problem. Which antivirus you were using. Try to run system restore and then check back. If nothing works then you will need to run a repair setup of windows. I am sure that will be more than enough to fix the problem you are facing.
Old 13-03-2006

Re: NTVDM CPU ERROR MESSAGE

You will need to go in System32 folder which is located inside Windows Directory. You will need to replace command.com file from here. You can find the same file from some working pc. Just copy that and paste it here. The problem can be due to some antivirus which is causing the failure. The antivirus might have wiped out some internal system files.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,