Thread: My "File->New->Create compressed (ZIP) folder menu entry does not exist" ?

My "File->New->Create compressed (ZIP) folder menu entry does not exist" ?

I am looking to create a zip folder in Windows XP. When checked on some website I read that the normal way to do this is either by using Windows Explorer or the context menu and select the entry as File > New > Create (compressed) folder. But the same menu entry does not exist on my Windows XP system. Can anyone tell me how to recreate it? Thanks.

Re: My "File->New->Create compressed (ZIP) folder menu entry does not exist" ?

I think that Windows XPs zipping tools are limited. You can try to look at some professional zipping tools like 7-Zip or WinZip.

Can you go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > File Types > Scroll down to zip, incase it doesnt exist then create a new one. After that highlight it and then click edit and place a checkmark in the box that reads confirm after download. Also edit the open command to re-associate it with the program that you are using to extract zip files. Also, you can locate a zip file and hold down the shift key and then open with and choose from the list. Just go to start and then run and then type regedit and locate the below key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.zip

After that in the right hand side, double click PerceivedType and change it to compressed.

Re: My "File->New->Create compressed (ZIP) folder menu entry does not exist" ?

hi. i have a vista coputer and, when i try to make a zipped folder it doesn't work. it only opens in a .txt folder. how can i fix it? please tell me.