Thread: Uninstall (remove) Windows Movie Maker

Uninstall (remove) Windows Movie Maker

Hey guys,

I am using Windows XP desktop. Due to some reasons i want to uninstall Windows Movie Maker from my system permanently. I tried doing this by going to Control Panel but dint found it anywhere either in add/remove programs or in the windows components. But i can see it installed in my Start Menu programs.

Can anyone tell me how do you uninstall WMM from Windows XP? Please provide me the easiest solution. Many thanks.

RE: Uninstall (remove) Windows Movie Maker

Windows Movie Maker is the built-in component in Windows hence you can not see it under Add and Remove programs. Here is what you need to go. Go into start > my computer > (select your hard drive) > programe files then delete it if you're really desperate.

By the way can i know what is the reason you want to remove it? As far as i know, it sits silently in the installed program and wont show up unless and until you touch it. So whats the problem?

Sorry to say but i dont think it is necessary to know what the problem is. Anyways, the reason i want to uninstall it is wmm stopped working. It is not able to import even WMV files along with several other file formats. Every time it says "unspecified error". Also not allowing me to drag other video files to storyboard. In no manner it is allowing me to download it or re-install it. Hence.

i tried the steps to delete it as you said but the files reappear after a minute or so. I guess it has to be done through registry or some other tool. To me it seems like Microsoft has rigged it as some integral component (while it is not) and something particular has to be done to remove it.

If you are not able to see it in Normal mode, better try doing the same in safe mode. Boot in to Safe Mode. Go to Control panel and just below Add and Remove, you will see Turn On / Off Windows Component. You should find Windows Movie Maker here.

Re: Uninstall (remove) Windows Movie Maker

The best suggestion is if Windows Movie Maker is part of SP2, then uninstalling SP2 will remove WMM 2.

Re: Uninstall (remove) Windows Movie Maker

I think every SP2 users should request a CD from Microsoft with SP2 and all its updates. It comes in the mail within a couple weeks usually and
    doesn't cost a dime. Once you received this disk you can simply install SP2 without uninstalling it first and then downloading it again from Microsoft.