Thread: Will reinstalling WIN XP delete my data ?

Will reinstalling WIN XP delete my data ?

I am using a Compaq 2500us notebook with Windows XP. SOmehow it got infected with spybot, and malware. Though i cleaned the system using Avast, hijack, ccleaner and easy cleaner, the malware got removed but since then i keep getting few error messages. Also there is some problem in performance such as none of the pictures show up as slide show or as thumbnails. Every time i need to open them in MS Paint by right clicking them to view because when i open them in Windows picture and fax viewer, it gives me an error message saying:

"rundll32.exe.- unable to locate component.
    This appl. faield to start because gdiplus.dll was not found . Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. unquote"

There are many more such problems which i am trying to fix out since a week now but yet not successful. SO finally i wanted to know if i do a clean re-install of Windows XP will I lose data in my documents folders and other programs that I have installed ? If yes, is there any way i can prevent these datas and program?

Thanks for your helps.

Re: Will reinstalling WIN XP delete my data ?

Did you tried restoring the system to any previous point where the problem has started? If not, do it. If that doesn't fixes the problem than simply insert the Windows Installation CD and instead of re-installation try out System Repair. Because re-installation will definitely delete all your docuemnts and programs if you dint have its backup. And if you go for Repair, this will retain programs , files and settings and hopefully get the operating system running properly. Hope it helps.

Thanks for your help buddy. Actually the Restore Point showing up in System Restore is 6 months old and dont feel good to restore the system so back. It is is Windows XP Home and when i put the installation CD, this is what i get on my screen:

"Option to upgrade will not be available at this time because setup is unable to load the file D:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll. System cannot find the file specified."

When i click on OK, its moves ahead and prompt me to do a new installation, there is no Repair option. AM i doing anything wrong? Please help.

When you insert the CD and the setup files are loaded, you need to press R key to enter Recovery console from where you can carry out the Repair process.

As far as the Error Message mentioned above is concerned about gdiplus.dl, the following download will fix that. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en