Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

info popups hidden behind taskbar

Windows XP Support

Old 14-01-2005

info popups hidden behind taskbar

I am running Windows XP SP2 and use the Classic Start Menu with the option to select to "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" and it is problem. The taskbar must stay on top of all other Windows, except not on top of these little info popups that appear when you hover the mouse pointer over taskbar items. Its kind of irritating because sometime it happens and sometimes it will not. Is there any solution for this issue? Thanks.

Old 14-01-2005

Re: info popups hidden behind taskbar

This is actually a known issue. You can either restart or open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Escape and then go to Processes Tab > Locate and highlight explorer.exe > Right click explorer.exe > End Process and then press ok. The end Task on explorer.exe will make your Desktop and all programs disappear. After that restarting explorer will bring everything back.
Old 15-01-2005

Thanks for the reply, I now understand that they are called tooltips. Everybody has the same issue, its not just my pc. There are some tweaks that might help, such as increasing the number of folder views in TweakUI and such.
Old 15-01-2005

But when I checked then tweakUI does this wrong, it actually creates the key "Bag MRU Size", but the key has to be renamed "BagMRU Size". Fix by hand w/ regedit, in two places:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
Old 10-02-2005

I have found a quick solution for this issue, just try to move the whole taskbar to the side and then back, it looks to be working for me.
Old 08-07-2006

I did a fix, if you need can get the tooltipsfix.exe

To run it you also need the VB6 runtime,
can be found on microsoft.com

Attention:
There could be some odd behavior with windows that was already opened while running the fix, so reopening them will help.

p.s.: The fix applies HWND_TOPMOST to all windows where "ToolTip" found in it's classname.
Old 08-07-2006

If you want, then you can even try to right click on the taskbar and then go to Properties and then uncheck and keep the taskbar on top and then click apply and then check it back and click apply.
Old 24-12-2007

Best fix out there!

I have the Tool Tip Manager program and have corresponded with the programmer who wrote it. He’s been in the business for 30 years and is currently developing Windows device drivers for security products. He apparently wrote Tool Tip Manager because he was tired of waiting for Microsoft to fix it. His product adds some nice new features to the desktop like the ability to customize the task bar tool tips and because he wrote it as an extension to the Windows shell versus a separately running process, it does not use any additional CPU resources and only a tiny bit of memory. It’s quick and easy to install and he offers a money-back guarantee. And it’s less than $10.00!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: