Thread: System volume information access denied

System volume information access denied

I tried to restore to a previous setup a few days ago but it reports that it is not able to restore. The antivirus program has detected adware in the last restore point but is not able to delete it due to folder access is denied. I tried to open the file in Windows Explorer but am getting the same issue. I also cannot access component services or any computer management from control panel? Can anyone please help?

Re: System volume information access denied

I think that only the system can access that folder, since you cannot do a single thing in that folder without breaking System Restore. So it might be possible that the permissions are set to only allow the system to access. It doesnt matter what is in SR if you dont restore. It will in the end become too old and get deleted. You can try to make a manul restore point and run Disk Cleanup and click the button that deletes all but the last restore point.

Thanks but I am also not able to create a new restore point. It appears that nothing can access the system information volume folder. For your information, I am having some expertise in computer field.

If you do not have the permission to change the permissions, then you will have to take ownership of the folder (which is the admins special powers), then give yourself permission to access it. Before that have you tried to turn off SR, restart and then turn it on again and then restart?

Check the below link that describes how to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309531