Thread: missing windows root\system32\hal.dll.

missing windows root\system32\hal.dll.

Suddenly my pc stopped working. I am getting a hal.dll error message on the screen. I am using a Windows XP Pro pc. It was working fine. There were some problems in between.The system crashed with blue screen but later on it started working properly. Last night I updated the system. I forgot to turn it off. Now there is a issue when I restart the pc. There is a problem with some missing or corrupt hal.dll file. I cannot boot in windows at all. I am having my office files in it.

RE: missing windows root\system32\hal.dll.

It is one of the most common bug with Windows XP. The error appear because a important dll file in your system is corrupted or damage. Just replacing is will not do the job. You can fix the problem by fixing the boot.ini file. I think this might work. For that you will need to boot in recovery mode using Windows XP bootable CD. I am giving you link below that has information in fixing boot.ini file.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

If you want to take data backup then you can do one thing. You can download a bootable cd from web. There are ample of live cd that you can download and boot your system with the same. Once you access your system you can copy the files and keep them on safe place. That is the only way to access your hard drive. Later on you can use windows cd and run a repair setup of your system. That will do the job.

You can restore the hal.dll file using Windows bootable disc. This file is important for your pc. It is the only file which help the OS to connect with the hardware. If it is damage you cannot boot in windows. To replace the same boot your system in recovery console. In the command prompt go in the optical drive and then type the following command : optical drive:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32. hit enter. Restart your pc and check back.

Re: missing windows root\system32\hal.dll.

This kind of error are also generated due to bad sectors in the hard drive. It is essential that you run a full drive scan to find out the issue. You can use windows xp recovery console to find out disc error. Just run chkdsk and hit enter. The last option remains is to format the pc completely and install windows xp back from scratch.