Thread: bad_pool header

bad_pool header

I was facing this problem since past one month on my Windows XP desktop. Here is the exact scenario. Suddenly while working on this computer, I use to get Black screen which is followed by a BSOD. As you all know blue screen contains huge information but I just managed to read “bad_pool header on a blue screen” because system restarts in seconds. I use to get this message on bluescreen upto 5 to 7 times a day. I tried several fixes but nothing helped me to get rid of the same.

So I downloaded Service Pack 1, formatted my hard drive and did a clean fresh install of Windows XP SP1. It worked fine for a week and now suddenly I received the same error message today with bluescreen saying “bad_pool header on a blue screen”. Can anyone please tell me what is going wrong? I have just installed my NVidia 6800 LE videocard driver and ethernet driver. Nothing else.

Please help.

Re: bad_pool header

Are you sure dint installed any other driver? because to me it clearly seems either driver or any hardware problem. You need to check for the same. Apart from it i will suggest you to try setting the indexing service to manual. You can do this by going to services,msc.

To get more info about the problem you should checkout the "Events Viewer" and see if there is anything listed about this problem. I'm sure there would be some entry, please post it here. Apart from this to read the information provided on blue screen you can disable its auto restart by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Here under "System Failure" untick "Automatic Restart."

Here are some mire articles you should go through to get more info. How to gather information after a memory dump in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314084

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/EN-US/