Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Windows XP Support

Old 01-01-2005

NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

I am simply getting a constant problem here. I am facing some problem with NTVDM cpu here. When I try to use my pc I am getting a problem that the cpu encountered illegal instruction error. I am not able to find any solution here. I tried everything but nothing worked. I am trying to run windows xp on my home pc but the problem here is simply different. It looks like some kind of very serious issue to me. Can anyone here guide me to deal with the issue. I hope there will be some option available through which I can fix the issue.

Old 01-01-2005

The issue can be simply fixed by running msconfig. It is one of the best way to deal with the problem you are facing. You have to run a clean boot here. For that first click on start and then click on run and in that type msconfig and hit enter. Then go to the General tab second and there click on Selective Startup. In that simply click onclear the Load Startup Items check box. And then go back to the Services tab and click Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and whatever is left disband then click Disable All. Then try back.
Old 24-07-2005

You have to simply clear windows registry which will do the job. You can use a good cleaner for the same which will help you to deal with problem you are facing. Sometime ample of applications in the system are common cause of issue. The first thing here you can do is simply run system restore and then test back. System restore will simply restore back old settings and make your system more stable. If that does not work then wipe out any recently installed applications on your pc and then test back.
Old 29-09-2008

click start then run type in config enter go into startup find msupdte.exe and delete
Old 02-08-2010

Re: NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Here is a fix! all you need is to download this and insert your Windows OS disk:
16 bit MS DOS Subsystem Error Quick Fix Download 20238

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,