Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP crashes on boot

Windows XP Support

Old 31-08-2005

XP crashes on boot

I am running Windows XP and it will crash and restart at the point where Windows XP desktop normally appears. I have tried to boot in Safe Mode but the same issue at the same point in the boot sequence happens. But swapping the hard drive for a drive with Windows 98SE loaded onto it and allows me to boot up and run fine under that OS, so it could be a XP fault because of some viruses. I ran AVG antivirus and it didnt find anything, can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Old 31-08-2005

Re: XP crashes on boot

Try to disable automatic restart on system failure. After that just to see if you can get a STOP code, or if you can login to Safe mode, then it's possible you can restart the system in normal mode later on. When the computer is booting up, then tap F8 function key to get bootup options. You can try to tap and keep repeating it until it takes to to bootup options. Once you are there then try to login to Safe mode.
Old 31-08-2005

Try to follow the steps below to expand a file from the Windows XP CD:
  1. First of all click Start, and click Run.
  2. After that type "MsConfig" and press Enter.
  3. After that click Expand File.
  4. Check on the File to restore text box, type "lz32.dll".
  5. Now, check on the Restore from text box, specify the position of the Windows XP CD.
  6. After that check on the Save files in text box, browse to "C:\windows\system32".
  7. Now click on Expand and then restart your computer.
  8. Now try to check whether the issue disappears.
Old 31-08-2005

Can you try to select Safe Mode with Networking and if you can then just try to login and you will be able to do the solution that I have told in my previous reply about networking that is not limited to a multiple computer setup.
Old 01-09-2005

Re: XP crashes on boot C0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH LZ32.dll corruption

Incase you are still facing the issue, then repeat the process to get into Recovery Console by simply booting from XP CD. After that once you are at the command prompt, then check what your Windows folder name is, that is, whether it is Windows or WINNT and then try to use the %windir% for below:

Normally, the Expand command syntax to recopy the LZ32 is written below:
EXPAND Y:\I386\LZ32.DL_ Z:\%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\LZ32.DLL

where Y is the CD drive letter and Z is the drive letter for your hard drive where Windows is.
Old 04-12-2008

I am having the same issues as well. Unfortunately I cannot boot in safe mode regardless of what option I choose. The boot always gets hung up on DRIVERS/AGP440.sys

Any ideas?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: