Thread: Desktop icons moving - even when autoarrange is unchecked

Desktop icons moving - even when autoarrange is unchecked

Need some help regarding my XP desktop icons. There are more than 40icons on my desktop that I have arrange manually one by one. But every time I restart my PC they get auto arranged automatically though I have set the settings not to do the same.

It happens usually after my desktop loads the icons completely, suddenly screen flashes and icons gets auto arranged. For your information here are my desktop settings:
    • Name/Size/Type/Modified - none checked
    • Auto Arrange - no check
    • Align to Grid - checked
    • Show Desktop Icons - checked
    • Lock Web Items on Desktop - Checked
    • Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard – Unchecked

What else can I do to fix it ?

RE: Desktop icons moving - even when autoarrange is unchecked

As far as I know this should be fixed by locking desktop items. But as you said you are already done it its difficult to sort out the cause. As a workaround I’ll suggest you to uncheck the “Lock Web Items on Desktop” , restart the system and see what happenes.

Re: Desktop icons moving - even when autoarrange is unchecked

Thanks for the help Zakiy but I don’t think its gonna help me because I don’t have any web items on my desktop. I already checked it earlier. Also the problem is not just for web items, it is actually moving my all icons including My Documents, recycle or My Computer as well.

Hello Mae, the cause behind such behavior is the shell which whenever hiccups tad, it resets the entire desktop and icons available, and that means aligning the icons to the left of desktop screen. These hiccups are cause because of any program or driver that wont load properly at the startup. And that is very difficult to find out which of those programs or driver is causing this problem. Hence I would suggest you to find out some program that will take care of your desktop icons. Yes, there are many such softwares available on web.

I appreciate your helps again guys. I tried unchecking web items , but still the same thing happening on startup. And as per Kristaps, I was not aware of such applications but will surely try to find out suitable for one. As of now, I decided to call a hardware guy to fix the same. Lets see what he can do rather than formatting my system.

Guys,

Following worked for me :) try it. No need of any other tool.

Right Click on the Desktop.

View > Untick the " Align to Grid" option.

That is it. Restat and see!

I use Icon Restore to restore my icons to their proper position

When installed, it shows up in the right-click menu of the first 3 or 4 system icons at the left of the screen.

I found it's a good idea to right-click on all 3 or 4 icons and save. Sometimes restoring from one icon doesn't work 100%, but another will.

Remember to save every time an icon in added or renamed.

Sometimes I get the feeling some people dont really read these posts or are just looking for some kind of posting recognition...

I too have the same issue with icons or items (widgets etc) that get moved either by windows or by others... I want them welded in place.. this means "locking desktop items, autoarrange etc, blah blah blah" that windows comes with WILL NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!

So please, if anyone who actually knows and does read this fully has a constructive and known accurate answer, then let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by crazytekkie View Post
    Sometimes I get the feeling some people dont really read these posts or are just looking for some kind of posting recognition...

I too have the same issue with icons or items (widgets etc) that get moved either by windows or by others... I want them welded in place.. this means "locking desktop items, autoarrange etc, blah blah blah" that windows comes with WILL NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!

So please, if anyone who actually knows and does read this fully has a constructive and known accurate answer, then let us know.
    Can you insist going to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm and clicking "I". After that just scroll down to "Icons - Lock on Desktop" and the other helpful sections. Also Do you happen to have a program called Anti-Peeper Key? If either of these keys loses ownership..
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop
    The desktop can rearrange itself.