Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

svchost.exe - Application Error

Windows XP Support

Old 30-07-2005

svchost.exe - Application Error

I am having a similar kind of problem that many people are facing. The issue is with the svchost.exe - Application Error and the Generic Host Process Error. I am using a laptop and also have a networked HP OfficeJet 7400. I also disconnect it every day. Can anyone tell me how to solve this error messages? Thanks.

Old 30-07-2005

RE: svchost.exe - Application Error

Also, I am getting some error in the log file that I was directed to regarding the problem named "appcompat.txt". Any ideas?
Old 30-07-2005

RE: svchost.exe - Application Error

Below is the full details in order when I startup my computer:

"To help protect your computer Windows has closed this program. Data Execution Prevention. Generic Host Process for Win32 Services."

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. For more information click here.

Error Signature. Event Type: BEX P1: svchost.exe P2: 5.1.2600.2180 P3: 41107ed6 P4: unknown P5: 0.0.0.0 P6: 00000000 P7: 009a96bc P8: c00000005 P9: 00000008
Old 09-01-2007

I think that there is something wrong about this, can you try to clear your caches, internet files and delete cookies while offline, to do that follow this steps. First click on Start > Control Panel and then double click Network and Internet connection and then double click Internet Options. On the General Tab click clear History,internet files and delete cookies and then close IE properties. After that run the Disk cleanup also on your Partition, by double click My Computer and there on your Partition (C:\) and right click and select properties then on the system Properties click Disk cleanup. Reboot and see if you will get the Error. Scan for Viruses and Malwares on your computer. Look in the Event Viewer for Error Messages (X) and double click them to get more info. Did you try to do a system restore to the restore point created by automatic updates prior to it's installing updates?
Old 09-12-2009

It might be possible that there could be bad ram, so try to pull one stick at a time and see the cause of the error and the continue with the other ones. Also you can turn windows updates off and see if you will get the error on startup.

Also, check the article on "FIX: When you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows Installer, including Office updates, you may experience a memory leak, or you may receive an error message for the Svchost process" from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,