Thread: XP SP2 restarts on shutdown

XP SP2 restarts on shutdown

I am running Windows XP SP2 which restarts all of a sudden instead of shutting down. It recently started and I have tried many solutions to fix this issue and also did a virus scan but nothing is there. I checked the Bios and could not find anything wrong and it was update couple of months before as well. The issue started when I updated and installed some applications, the first was the trial version of Intervideo's HomeTheater and then I updated Nero 6 burning Rom to the latest Nero 6 Reloaded. PowerDVD6 and WinDVR3 were preinstalled. I guess that there is a driver issue. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Re: XP SP2 restarts on shutdown

Can you try to follow the below link for TROUBLESHOOTING Windows XP shutdown and restart problem:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Can you turn off Auto Restart and then after the next failure check your Event Viewer for errors flagged with a red X. After that right click on my computer and then click the Advanced tab and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery, and then view the Automatically restart checkbox under System Failure. Incase the automatically resart check box is selected then Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops suddenly.

After unchecking the "restart windows automatically" earlier I checked out the event viewer and found two consisted startup errors, that you can see below:

EVENT VIEWER - APPLICATION ERROR:
    PctSpk Error: category None
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PctSpk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PctSpk error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed

EVENT VIEWER - SYSTEM ERROR:
    Source:Service Control Manager
    Event:7000
    The bsaspi32 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The error that you are getting means that the system cannot find the file bsapi32. The 7000 event might occur when a service was not uninstalled properly. The service control manager wants to start the service but the executable is not there. You might have to remove the entries for the service from the registry. It might also happen if one of the dependant files are missing or it might be the wrong OS version.

Re: XP SP2 restarts on shutdown

3rd Attempt (Success!!)

Problem recognized: Wake on LAN

Right click "My Computer"
    Select "Properties"
    Go to "Hardware Device"
    Click "Device Manager"
    Select "Network Adapters"
    Select "Marvell Yukon .....PCI-Fast Ethernet Controller--> right click ---properties--->power management-->deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"--->Go to "Advanced" tab--->put value off for "Wake from shut down" --->value none for "Wake up capabilities"
    press OK

If this doesn't work then check your BIOS

Restart ---> press F2---> go to "Main" tab --->Network boot [Disable] --- Save